What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace said:
punkin said:
Hey Dace! Go here for the zucchini salsa recipe:

www.thatsmyhome.com/general/zucchini-salsa.htm

The only thing I did differently was to add two 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce. It just did not have enough liquid in it for me.

It is really good. In 2 days my husband and I have already eaten 2 pints :love
Thank you that looks delicious! Some of the other recipes there look really good too, but I notice it does not say how many jars each recipe makes. I am such a newbie...how many jars did that recipe make?
I noticed that, too. The way I did it (adding tomato sauce), I think it made about 10 pints. We have about 7 pints left ater giving some away and eating some.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tonight was the last night for the icicle We ended up with 20 quarts and some left over pickling juice. So, I went up to the garden, grabbed some jalepenos and cayennes. I packed 2 jars of each and poured the rest of the juice over them. We'll see how that turns out.

Oh, and 3 more quarts of freezer tomato sauce.

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Went black berry picking on friday at a pick your own. 1.35 for a lb, sure beats the 3.50 a pint at the produce stand.

Let me say love , love black berry jelly. So picked over 10 lbs of these lovely 1 to 2 inch size berries.They justopened up the thornless canes to be picked. It was 100 according to the bank on the way there in temps. Love black berry jelly/syrup in my yogurt and oatmeal and toast.

So a day of heat in the kitchen 22 jars later it is processed. Whew.

Need more canning jars. Used even the larger ones for this batch. Took three pans fulls to process them.

I did one batch of peaches with citric acid bleh. Only going to use lemon juice after that.

Tomatos are just starting to ripen here. Mostly the cherry ones. Romas are starting too.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/img/smilies/watering.gif

ML

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to the farmers market and got an assortment of beautiful tomatoes...deep red, pink, yellow & orange. I made some wonderful salsa...then got a wild hair about canning some. It only made 3 pint sized jars, but I am new to canning so everything in sight is at risk! LOL!

I followed the directions... brought it up to a boil for 10 minutes, pressure canned it (to be safe..as I said I am new!) for 20 mins....let the whole pot lose it's pressure before removing the jars and then I removed them carefully, set them on a wooden cutting board that was covered with a towel, covered the jars with another towel.
After 10 hours, I looked this morning and one of the jars had not sealed...any idea why that happened?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There might have been air trapped in that jar, Make sure that you stick a rubber spatula in the jars to get out any air pockets. You can reprocess that jar with a new lid or just use it in a recipe.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks NC...I just put it in the fridge, we'll eat it with in the week :)
I would really like to cold pack it but every recipe I have found says that it has to be heat precessed first.
I don't really understand, why can you cold pack fruits & pickles but not salsa?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went today and bought 6lbs of Blackberries as I don't know anyone that has any bushes, anywho they are in the caner with about 2 minutes to go. I got 7 1/2 pints of jam and enough for a cobbler that is now cooling.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
With my daughter's help, I was able to put up ten 8-oz jars of low-sugar apricot jam. I also prepped enough apricots for two more batches and froze these, seperated into the two batches, with the required amount of sugar. I used the Ball packet of pectin for no-sugar jam as my store was all out of the Sure-Jel brand. It set really nicely. I'm sure glad I used a recipe calling for half the normal amount of sugar, as it was still plenty sweet for me. I'm going to try putting up some no-sugar strawberry jam, sweetened with Splenda, tomorrow. I'm going to use frozen strawberres, frozen without any sugar added. Next on my list will be Marionberry jam. I may have mentioned it before, but Marionberries are primarily our "blackberry" here in Oregon, both cultivated and wild. They are sweeter than CA's blackberries and have smaller and less-woody seeds. I might just manage to do some blueberry jam as well. I am fortunate that there are several berry farms in my area that grow blueberries, Marionberries and raspberries, although I can pick my own wild Marionberries just about anywhere around. I've got some peaches in the freezer right now, and I plan on making "Peach pie filling in a jar" with them later on. Every fall I make "apple pie filling in a jar" with Granny Smith apples, and this comes in really handy for a quick pie, cobbler or crisp. I like to give homemade gifts to my family at Christmas time. I have some 4-oz jam jars, and I think these will make really nice gifts for my family. I can send several different kinds of jams and they'll cost less to ship than the bigger jars.

Latest posts