What Did You Do In The Garden?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Kentucky Wonders are vining and looks like we'll have blooms soon. They are about a month old now. The crookneck squash is up. Potatoes are vining and the others planted a couple weeks ago are all up and growing well. Sweet potato vines are holding their own with the weeds except for the one DH weed eated down. Green tomatoes on the Arkansas Travelers and the Cherokee Purple seem to be growing quickly. A few cucumber plants coming up. I replanted the zucchini but nothing yet. I will probably plant some more beans where the potatoes will be coming out. I need a lot more if I'm going to have any to put up. I noticed the pepper plants are blooming but I can't remember which I grew where!:idunnoI guess time will tell. I still want to find a spot for some pumpkin, watermelon and winter squash. Maybe in the front yard.:barnie

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been a really nice day about 75 degrees, breezy, but I worked all day. I planted a few onions, some squash and cucumbers seeds, lettuce, and a few tomatoes, about 50 peppers, a few marigolds, basil, the Delicata squash plants, and DS got the poles in for the pole beans and got the weeds out of the area and we planted the pole beans. I am going to cut my Russian kale tomorrow before the bugs get it and put some collard plants there. I have onions, peppers, tomatoes and marigolds,cabbage left on the patio and the collard plants. I will decide tomorrow if I want to expand out somewhere and put this stuff in or call it good. Then, I have to start weeding and fertilizing and DS and I have to put some fence up for the tomatoes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I forgot to mention that yesterday during the summer solstice, I pruned my fruit trees. Summer pruning keeps them small and the summer solstice is the perfect time in their cycle to do it. Come winter solstice, I will prune to shape or open up the center if need be.

Mary
That makes me feel better about the spot pruning on my pear tree. Thanks! :hugs
Yesterday I got back to my garden and put shovelfuls of compost (decomposed stall waste) around all of my peppers and cabbages. One of my cabbages may not make it. I will give it a week before I pull it. I may pot it up and "nursery" it on the porch if it has a chance bc I have had cabbages come up next year before from their roots. Got mild rain last night and it is raining now. That will add to the puddling I gave all of the plants yesterday.
My potatoes look crummy and I've lost a few, BUT, I accidentally pulled a small one up and their were baby potatoes, so they are worth some TLC. Tomorrow I plan to mow my mint (hasn't gone to seed, yet) and apply to the potatoes as mulch. Hopefully the mint will discourage some insects from eating on them.
Gonna be San Francisco type weather this weekend for us, highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's. Should be great for mowing, sawing, hacking and burdock poisoning!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got some more corn in.

Had to till the area because some of the weeds were just "transplanted" the last time the rototiller went through. Barely finished (or, close ;)) and knew I was running out of gas! Didn't bring the can and pushing the dang thing almost takes more oomph than I've got to give! Made it outta the garden!

I noticed the pepper plants are blooming but I can't remember which I grew where!:idunno.
This is forever my problem. Want to have multiple varieties but I'm usually taking things out there in 4 packs. So, I may 1 sticker and 4 plants. What if I have something like 4 varieties of cabbage. Hey, I have my old Jersey Wakefield back from 25 years ago! And, 2 new hybrids! So, I might have 16 plants and 4 stickers ... :hu.

Then, I have look-alike Portuguese kale! And then, there are collards. What do I know about collards?! I have no idea what 3/4 of these plants are at this point :th!

Shoot. I hope I have them figured out by harvest!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I got the fence up for the tomatoes. I put some Epsom salts water on some plants that are starting to flower. I put another batch of oregano in the dehydrator. I have the same problem about marking the plants. I carry them out there and then I plant and the markers are all messed up. I have no idea which plant is what. I have so many peppers and I will just have to wait. I was going to make sure my tomatoes were short ones in one area and tall in another area, but I have no idea and I sometimes get my cabbage and collard plants mixed up until they start growing. Last year I had the squash wrote down, but this year, I have no idea what kind will be coming up or cucumbers, but they are growing.

Latest posts