What Did You Do In The Garden?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect one could eat almost all of a pea plant. My grands learned long ago that the flowers taste just like peas. I have a hard time getting any of those round, green things out of the pod -- they don't last around here long enough to shell 'em.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted a bunch of herbs today: basil, parsley, dill, cilantro, and borage. Planted a row of onion sets...WAY late for those, but I'll just use them for green tops. Pink cosmos and a whole row of mixed zinnias.

I have two rows of space left. I'll let the kids plant whatever flowers they want in those.

DH helped me stake the tomatoes and put up two cattle panels to trellis the cukes and snake gourds. We put several strips of rubber coal conveyor belts around the perimeter of the garden to keep the quack grass out.

My 5 little blue birdies fledged today. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the blueberries weeded again and topped up their chips. Planted some Painted Mountain corn, 3 types of carrots, a row of turnips, escarole, buttercrunch and some old Black Seeded Simpson lettuce to see if it will sprout.
Also got the Beira Tronchuda kale in.
I weeded and cleaned up my little picket garden too, so it's ready for my husband and I to sit and watch hummers.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still need to plant pole beans, cilantro, dill, my poor onions, which do look good, more basil, a few cabbage plants. Is it too late for any of these? I will have a space next month when the garlic is done and trying to decide what to plant in July here in Idaho. I am going to look over the cucumbers and squash and may stick some seeds in. I have the Delicata squash plants I bought at the Farmer's market, marigold plants, and some root bound tomatoes. I am planning on working hard the next couple of days to get it finished and start working on weeds. I may not get it all done, so which of all these would you not plant if you ran out of time? Bush beans in July?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pole beans are barely above ground. More cilantro was planted today - who knows with that stuff? Save some seed to put in late. dill? I'm tired of onions, bulbling might take place because of day length but onions are edible at any time.

We seem to lose a few cabbage plants every spring, have extra and put those in late. Doesn't always work but it probably depends on fall weather.

Cucumber and summer squash seed (or seedlings) will go in right away between early cabbage plants. I failed to start broccoli for the first time in like forever! Could have been beside those, too. When they can be pulled, the cukes and squash can fill in their space.

Delicata squash only matured once in 3 tries. I gave up on them. Marigolds? Doesn't seem like much to lose to try. Root bound tomatoes should have some roots pried lose. If they are early maturing, they should do okay.

:) Steve