What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pole beans are barely above ground. More cilantro was planted today - who knows with that stuff? Save some seed to put in late. dill? I'm tired of onions, bulbling might take place because of day length but onions are edible at any time.

We seem to lose a few cabbage plants every spring, have extra and put those in late. Doesn't always work but it probably depends on fall weather.

Cucumber and summer squash seed (or seedlings) will go in right away between early cabbage plants. I failed to start broccoli for the first time in like forever! Could have been beside those, too. When they can be pulled, the cukes and squash can fill in their space.

Delicata squash only matured once in 3 tries. I gave up on them. Marigolds? Doesn't seem like much to lose to try. Root bound tomatoes should have some roots pried lose. If they are early maturing, they should do okay.

:) Steve

Delicata I planted once and had good luck. My tomatoes are early and I feel better about the onions. Thank you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Before you write tomorrow's to-do list, write down what you accomplished today. Recognize your progress." ~ Jane Jones

Finished putting cedar shiplap siding on the south end gable of the garage. Oh! That wasn't garden work! Well, wait a minute. I had to lay a 2 by 6 across a garden bed to set my ladder on! Going up and down that for hours on a couple of days was an accomplishment! And, it had to be done before the dahlias in that bed require a trellis!

Got some fish emulsion on the kale plants that were set out late. Not sure if it's the lack of soil fertility or just that they would have preferred to be out there earlier in the spring but only a few of them look like they have grown, at all. Luckily, that is not true with the earliest kale and we will see what they think of the smelly fish stuff.

The winds increased from calm to gusts above 30mph. Went home.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I helped DIL plant a pyramid trellis with cardinal climber, moon flower, and morning glories. Then I set some calla lily bulbs around the trellis.

I weeded most of DIL's first veggie bed.

When I tried to mow, I found the drive belt had slipped off. Had to push it back up to the house. Now waiting for son to fix the problem.

Son has been working so hard the past few days. He's insulating, wiring, and putting up drywall in the garage section of the woodshop. Nearly done! Then, up with the electric garage door openers. One at the 9 foot outside door and one at the inside door that will separate the woodshop from the garage. Finally!

While I was at church this morning my nephew stopped by and left with my tractor. I'm not sure I wanted him taking the machine to dig up his water pipes, but I wasn't there to say, "no".

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not get much done, but I planted some marigolds, and planted some petunias in pots that I bought on sale. Usually DD plants flowers in pots. I decided I was not going to mess with it, but the flowers were on sale and kind of looks blah outside without her flowers. I did some weeding and cleaned the rabbit hutch and moved stuff to a compost bin. That took awhile. Tomorrow I am planting the last of any plants I have and pole beans and call it done, and the rest can go in the compost bin. I am starting to get worried about blackberries. I had 6 for several years of Apache that never spread, but I bought TWO Triple Crown a few years ago. This spring I dug up 11 shoots and have them in pots. I am going to give some away and then plant the rest out with the other 2. I dug all I could fine and DS tilled and in the alley he has mowed. There are SIX more out in the alley now.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cleaned and put away all the art materials at school. Worked late and met a friend for dinner.
In the evening, I crushed 4 potato beetles, 3 cucumber beetles, and 5 egg masses. I'm hoping to keep ahead of them, as this was their first real appearance.
Two more days of working, -better gardening days are coming!

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deadheaded Columbine, Iris, Bell Flowers and Painted Daisies. Took my bird guards (Dollar Store laundry baskets) off of zucchini and pumpkin hill. Retrained some pole beans for more even 'climber coverage'. Found my green velcro stuff to train tomatoes to the pole tomorrow. Also brought a new a variety of Hosta home.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide:hide my garden is still in the seed packets it arrived in
thCA1IKSX6.jpg

Latest posts