What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ripped up the melons, the squash and the pumpkins. I left behind a few volunteer squash that look healthy enough. All had been damaged by squash borers and were just havens for squash bugs to lay eggs upon.

I also cleared out all the old pea vines and cut off the overgrown chives. Tied up some flowers~don't EVER plant bachelor's button flowers in the garden, they simply cannot stand up, lopping over and taking all the other flowers with them in a wet tangle of mess!
BANG+HEAD.gif

I'm glad I took the pumpkins, as they were eaten out at the base by the squash borers and they just came up in my hand as easy as can be...rotten to the core. I'll replant them all and hope for the best, as they were all pretty damaged. All the radishes I had planted in those hills were all extremely bug damaged also...worse I've ever seen...and they didn't seem to do anything to stave off the pest bugs like everyone says, so I'll not replant those.

Didn't remove the cukes...Mom says let them be and see how they go. I'm for taking out half of them and replanting, so I may still do that...just remove the smallest, scabbiest plants and let the bigger ones be.

Opened up that tunnel and removed everything but the broccoli....got a heaping wheelbarrow full of lettuce and pak choy that had gone to seed and the slugs had rendered rotten at the bases. Will remove that landscaping fabric this week, letting that area of the garden dry out and will redo that tunnel in another area. I left the broccoli in place, just in case it wants to form some heads and I put down some slug bait on that area.

I didn't place those greens in the coop, as I was afraid the slugs would just thrive up there and procreate into the compost. I took them over next to the woods and dumped them, where the dogs have been eating on them ever since. They LOVE lettuce and eat it with gusto every chance they get.

When next I do a tunnel, it will be on frames so I can easily check it, plant it, harvest it, etc. This tunnel fabric with a million pins is for the birds!
blink.gif

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I ripped up the melons, the squash and the pumpkins. I left behind a few volunteer squash that look healthy enough. All had been damaged by squash borers and were just havens for squash bugs to lay eggs upon.

I pulled my yellow squash up today also Bee. Some of my vines were as big around as my wrist, but all where just destroyed by the squash borers. My zucchinis I lost earlier to them. I want to replant, but do I replant in the same place or move them to another bed?

I also have tons of stink bugs in my squash bed. This bed is covered in wood chips, and the stinkers are all in the chips. It's just creepy seeing them crawling every where. I raked all the chips up and moved them out of the garden. I've never seen so many stinkers in one place before.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled my yellow squash up today also Bee. Some of my vines were as big around as my wrist, but all where just destroyed by the squash borers. My zucchinis I lost earlier to them. I want to replant, but do I replant in the same place or move them to another bed?

I also have tons of stink bugs in my squash bed. This bed is covered in wood chips, and the stinkers are all in the chips. It's just creepy seeing them crawling every where. I raked all the chips up and moved them out of the garden. I've never seen so many stinkers in one place before.

That's something I'm debating as well....I don't want to plant them back where they were, so it's likely I'll change them to a new location.

Were those stink bugs or squash bugs...they look so much alike? I think this mild winter we had sort of set us up for more pest bugs, so it's going to be a full scale battle to render a garden out of the mouths of these bugs, I'm afraid.

I have some pyrethrum dust and it's supposed to work for stink bugs, squash bugs and vine borers, so I'm going to apply it to the soil around the new plants when they come up and will try to dust the plant base as well after each rain.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Were those stink bugs or squash bugs...they look so much alike? I think this mild winter we had sort of set us up for more pest bugs, so it's going to be a full scale battle to render a garden out of the mouths of these bugs, I'm afraid.

Well, after comparing the two, who knows? lol They both look very similar and from reading, the squash bugs stink when you crush them like a stink bug does. I've never had them like this before. I may have to get me some pyrethrum to see if it helps.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, after comparing the two, who knows? lol They both look very similar and from reading, the squash bugs stink when you crush them like a stink bug does. I've never had them like this before. I may have to get me some pyrethrum to see if it helps.

I'm pulling out the pyrethrum also, to see if I can protect the newly planted squash and such from the actual moth that lays the squash borer eggs. I had tried to grow some under a cloche but I was either too late putting them under or I removed the cloche too soon, because they got squash borers also.

This time I'm putting pyrethrum down on the surface of the soil, covering them with a cloche before they even emerge from the soil, snugging the wood chips up around the neck of the plant as they grow(supposed to discourage that moth too) and taking every precaution I can to insure they don't get attacked.

Latest posts