What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've got to brag on this scuffle hoe some more! @Beekissed

This first shot is the row of weeds I killed on Monday, now fried by the sun.

View attachment 20813

And this is two more rows I tackled this evening, down either side of the pepper plants, all of that is dead...mulch now. Been in the 90's all week. It has been an excellent opportunity to get caught up after all that rain we had.

View attachment 20814

The kids and DH have been gone all week to VBS. I am enjoying some blessed peace and quiet. I work in the garden until I get hot, hop in the pool for a bit, them jump out and hoe some more! :D
:woot:woot:woot:woot:woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anise hyssop makes a very pleasant licorice- flavored tea. It's another member of the family.

It reseeds like crazy and I have had volunteers in the big veggie garden for years. The tractor guy keeps it under control for me. It escaped into the neighbor's grapes but it looks like the vines have overpowered any 2017 seedlings.

I think the tractor guy and neglected grapes/raspberries and my own neglect have finally eliminated it out there!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anise hyssop makes a very pleasant licorice- flavored tea. It's another member of the family.

It resellers like crazy and I have had volunteers in the big veggie garden for years. The tractor guy keeps it under control for me. It escaped into the neighbor's grapes but it looks like the vines have overpowered any 2017 seedlings.

I think the tractor guy and neglected grapes/raspberries and my own neglect have finally eliminated it out there!
Read up on heavily pruning your grapes. The people who lived here before us never did prune them. I Thought that I was neglecting them and read up. I lost one vine, but I realized this year that THEY had lost two vines. One year I heavily pruned them and really got minimal fruit BUT they grew back the next year and were much healthier.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prune-old-overgrown-grapevines-55421.html

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I better not share that advice on pruning grapes with my neighbor ..

. the way I shared anise hyssop volunteers ;). But, they are his grapes.

Oh, and it "reseeds" - not resells. Darned autocorrect!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okey dokey...stayed home today and I limited the amount of time outside of the AC. Repaired a suit at 7AM, looked outside to a surprise shower!
On Tuesday I started moving the tomato plants out of the horse trough. I told you about the 24 now in 5 gallon (always thought they were 10 gallon) paint buckets, then I made two rows east of the Sweet Bell Peppers, with 10 tomato plants in each row. My last sweet potato vines were looking kinda sick having spent several weeks in just water. Had to move the rest of the tomatoes, so I pulled/sawed the rest of blackberry vines next to where I planted corn, tilled it up, planted more Indian corn that I didn't know I had, planted several rows of okra, dropped 7 packages of dill seed and made two ditches for the tomatoes. I pulled the rest from the trough--must have been over 50 plants--pulled them apart a little bit, tossed the smaller ones and laid them in the ditches. I did one ditch at a time, laying the tomatoes towards the garage, then covered with dirt, then the 2nd row. I watered them deeply. Storms tonight and tomorrow morning, so why waste the watering on seeds?
I watered my cucumbers and it looks like about 20+ are up, no pumpkins or zucchini yet, watered my brussels sprouts (several tiny ones up) and watered the zucchini mound and the watermelon mound and the okra next to the jalepano peppers. About a dozen of the okra are up.
Right now I am multi-tasking, here in the AC while the horses are mowing the inner sanctum for me.
ToDAY...I was stubborn. :celebrate

Latest posts