What Did You Do In The Garden?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Busy morning picking way too many cucumbers, kale, zucchini.
Here is this morning haul:View attachment 20844 There are 48 cucumbers in the Trader Joe's grocery tote on the right. 2 grocery bags of kale and more left in the garden. Only 7 zucchini this trip but 2 of them are very large. Those are the 1st peppers we got to pick before the DOG! LOL

Your dog eats peppers! :thEven the deer don't touch those...much less the children.

My peppers got off to a bad start. Don't know if I'll ever get any big ones for stuffing. Sadly going to have to make a trip to the farmer's market tomorrow. Still waiting on that first ripe tomato too, but close.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
All I could do in this extreme heat is to water the recent transplants and keep my animals hydrated. My beets are the size of softballs, so I picked one and cooked it up. SOOOOOOOOOO SWEET!!!!!!!!!! :drool I am convinced that big beets can taste great if you keep them fed. Looks like canning and replanting beets this weekend.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your dog eats peppers! :thEven the deer don't touch those...much less the children.

My peppers got off to a bad start. Don't know if I'll ever get any big ones for stuffing. Sadly going to have to make a trip to the farmer's market tomorrow. Still waiting on that first ripe tomato too, but close.
Here sure does, he loves his vegetables. Asparagus, peppers, tomatoes are at the top of his list. He even helps himself, not waiting for us human servants to toss him one! He has been know to steal a pile of cut asparagus when DH wandered off to look at the rest of the garden. Last week he took a bell pepper just before we deemed it perfect to take home and stuff. :( Bad Dog :barnie

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here sure does, he loves his vegetables. Asparagus, peppers, tomatoes are at the top of his list. He even helps himself, not waiting for us human servants to toss him one! He has been know to steal a pile of cut asparagus when DH wandered off to look at the rest of the garden. Last week he took a bell pepper just before we deemed it perfect to take home and stuff. :( Bad Dog :barnie

Ah well, at least he is healthy! :p

The asparagus would be hard to forgive though.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I could do in this extreme heat is to water the recent transplants and keep my animals hydrated. My beets are the size of softballs, so I picked one and cooked it up. SOOOOOOOOOO SWEET!!!!!!!!!! :drool I am convinced that big beets can taste great if you keep them fed. Looks like canning and replanting beets this weekend.

Oh yeah, they're still yummy, even as big as softballs!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled the last of the pigweed! I hand pull it since it comes back at the roots otherwise. I was very close to conquering the weeds in the bottom rows, only 1 and a half rows left to go, but it rained buckets today and will again tomorrow.

The beans have shot up their teepees this week. Won't be long, my canning season will be in full force.

Picked a bunch of cukes and also some green onions for taco dip. Tied up the tomatoes again. Wrapped heavy bird netting around them to keep the deer and a few stray chickens off my nearly ripe tomatoes.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SweetMissDaisy Nice! Those photos captured the summer essence perfectly!
That gazania is a beautiful color, and I just loved your coop story. Very cool about it's history.
Thanks! I think you're referring to the cherry brandies.... gorgeous plant! I don't remember where I picked it up, but it's supposedly the first red rudbeckia variety! Black and brown eyed Susan's are possibly my favorite, so I was thrilled to find a red variety. It wasn't in bloom when I bought it, so I was pleasantly surprised when it started blooming. :love I hope it survives winter. :fl