What Did You Do In The Garden?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bind weed has a smaller, more arrow shaped leaf, I think.

I will only from now on ever plant the Heavenly Blue morning glories. I have never gotten them to reseed, even though I'd like for them to. We've planted other colors of morning glory and they all escape and go nuts just like the wild purple ones. I've been pulling seedlings for years and they germinate all summer long which is so annoying. You miss one, no matter how small and it is going to make more.

Now I've had Cypress Vine reseed tons, but it is pretty enough that I am willing to pull the extras. It germinates all at once later in the summer though.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Heat advisory today. I HAVE to clear out the tomato planter!!!! I used four 10 gallon paint buckets and transplanted 24 into them, putting the roots at the bottom and filling 2/3 up with soil to develop some roots while they wait for me to fix the 2nd half of the bed by the fence.
Then I dug 2 ditches and transplanted 20 more about 6 inches deep and filling in.
Too brutal to be out for very long and I couldn't get my 5 am start due to the much needed rain.
Tomorrow I will clear it out and transplant some more, but I will be tossing a couple of dozen. I DID overplant, so not a bad thing. GOTTA get the rest of the sweet potato vines in bc they are not doing well in straight water.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You KILLED your bee balm :thand here I was going to make a post about the smell of bee balm. I tell you it is like magic at night in my yard. I told DS last night I should plant nothing but bee balm. It is the only smell I have ever got him to comment on and he said I should figure out how to bottle it for perfume. The whole yard has this smell after you water at night. Are you talking about white bindweed, the blue morning glory or the purple Grandpa Ott growing all over, or all of these? I guess if the blue would do what the white bindweed does then I would hate it too, but I would sure like to have some growing on a fence. I guess some childhood memories I have of morning glories and also lilacs I love the smell of.

View attachment 20808 View attachment 20809 I do have a lot and it is all from one plant I bought years ago divided it and then I guess it is spreading and also through the compost. I do have bindweed with the white flowers. I grow it well. It is over my whole garden and yard. Are you talking the white flowers or the blue flowers? I have even started the blue from seed and I read that probably where I live it would not come back from seed, but Grandpa Ott would which I did start some and they came back for awhile, but not as pretty as the blue. Grandpa is kind of purple, but I could not get anything like the picture I am posting here. I would barely get a single vine to go up a fence and think I did something wonderful.

I have planted a lot of cultivated morning glory in my life, in two different states and have never had a problem with it reseeding and becoming invasive. Bindweed however (small white bloom, arrow shaped leaves) is another story. It's a terrible problem in my veg garden. It grew straight up through the straw bales last year, although it has slowed down a bit with all the deep straw mulch this year. I know I'll never be rid of it.

I'm with you on the beebalm (Monarda didyma) @Gardening with Rabbits , it's possibly my favorite flower. I have Jacob Cline in the picket garden and the hummingbirds are crazy for it. In the front yard bed I have a raspberry colored one, even the sepals are a raspberry color, and it's been in for over 10 years. It's not invasive in my beds and this climate, and if it were inclined to be I don't think I'd mind at all.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got to brag on this scuffle hoe some more! @Beekissed

This first shot is the row of weeds I killed on Monday, now fried by the sun.

orca-image-1500507672596.jpg_1500507672849.jpeg

And this is two more rows I tackled this evening, down either side of the pepper plants, all of that is dead...mulch now. Been in the 90's all week. It has been an excellent opportunity to get caught up after all that rain we had.

20170719_210817.jpg

The kids and DH have been gone all week to VBS. I am enjoying some blessed peace and quiet. I work in the garden until I get hot, hop in the pool for a bit, them jump out and hoe some more! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you've got a beautiful place and a beautiful garden going on there! Very lush and full. I used my hoe this evening too and am still amazed at just how viciously I can rip out full grown weeds in a thick swath...feels good to rip and cut them out, sort of like playing shuffle board. :D

I wanted to take a video of the way it ripped through a section of weeds this evening but didn't have anyone to film it while I did it.

Son made me a cover for mine out of a piece of conveyor belt and some green leather he had lying around. Sewed it with wire, then top stitched it with bowstring...he had to use a drill to drill each hole into the conveyor belt material to sew it, so I feel so blessed that he worked that hard on it. He doesn't have any good equipment or tools for working with leather and such, so he did the best he could...took one measurement from it and didn't see the hoe again until he was finished and it fits like a glove! It's not professionally made but I LOVE it!

100_5925.JPG
100_5926.JPG

I'm tickled to have a safe way to transport this thing back and forth between my garden and my son's town garden...this thing is a tad dangerous. Already cut a hole in my spare tire cover.... :oops:

Strawberries keep coming on....

100_5935.JPG

...nd spud vines dying back. Reached in to see what's under there and pulled out a respectable sized Red Pontiac, very healthy looking. I'm hoping these compost rings are full of taters from this year's crop and weren't all just tops like last year.

Suckered maters, spread epsom salts, transplanted some romaine out of trays and into shady areas of the garden, tucked in under and around other veggies and flowers.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you've got a beautiful place and a beautiful garden going on there! Very lush and full. I used my hoe this evening too and am still amazed at just how viciously I can rip out full grown weeds in a thick swath...feels good to rip and cut them out, sort of like playing shuffle board. :D

I wanted to take a video of the way it ripped through a section of weeds this evening but didn't have anyone to film it while I did it.

Son made me a cover for mine out of a piece of conveyor belt and some green leather he had lying around. Sewed it with wire, then top stitched it with bowstring...he had to use a drill to drill each hole into the conveyor belt material to sew it, so I feel so blessed that he worked that hard on it. He doesn't have any good equipment or tools for working with leather and such, so he did the best he could...took one measurement from it and didn't see the hoe again until he was finished and it fits like a glove! It's not professionally made but I LOVE it!

View attachment 20816 View attachment 20817

I'm tickled to have a safe way to transport this thing back and forth between my garden and my son's town garden...this thing is a tad dangerous. Already cut a hole in my spare tire cover.... :oops:

Strawberries keep coming on....

View attachment 20815

...nd spud vines dying back. Reached in to see what's under there and pulled out a respectable sized Red Pontiac, very healthy looking. I'm hoping these compost rings are full of taters from this year's crop and weren't all just tops like last year.

Suckered maters, spread epsom salts, transplanted some romaine out of trays and into shady areas of the garden, tucked in under and around other veggies and flowers.

Awesome! It looks very nice too. He did a great job. I found DH has a rivet tool already. I am going to see what I can do with that.

I can't get over how sharp that thing is, even after all that use. It is so well made. It took me less than an hour to do those 2 rows and touch up all the ones I've kept up with at the top of the garden. It's like vacuuming. And I never get sore! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree...it's like vacuuming. And it has a certain satisfying feeling and sound to it, sort of like popping bubble wrap. Just the sound of the weeds being cut off and the feel of it is rather pleasurable in a way. :D

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have planted a lot of cultivated morning glory in my life, in two different states and have never had a problem with it reseeding and becoming invasive. Bindweed however (small white bloom, arrow shaped leaves) is another story. It's a terrible problem in my veg garden. It grew straight up through the straw bales last year, although it has slowed down a bit with all the deep straw mulch this year. I know I'll never be rid of it.

I'm with you on the beebalm (Monarda didyma) @Gardening with Rabbits , it's possibly my favorite flower. I have Jacob Cline in the picket garden and the hummingbirds are crazy for it. In the front yard bed I have a raspberry colored one, even the sepals are a raspberry color, and it's been in for over 10 years. It's not invasive in my beds and this climate, and if it were inclined to be I don't think I'd mind at all.

I might try morning glory in big pots next year. I
bb.jpg
bought some Jacob Cline seed and planted a few years ago. I see a red one here and there. I may start some more seed. Mine are the pictured here. Here is a website with all kinds of bee balm. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=red+monarda+seeds&_frs=1

Latest posts