What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are having potatoes for supper from the garden. I had planned on not planting next year, but these are so good.
Potatoes are so easily bought and inexpensive, after growing some in the seventies, I didn't have them in the garden for over 30 years.

But, even if I was just to have fresh potatoes for a few weeks, I would want to grow them. Even if they were the most common varieties found in every soopermarket, I would want to grow them. They are flavorful when one expects common bland starchiness. And ... it's fun to dig them - a little treasure hunt :).

I tied more string and threw MiracleGro on some of the flowers.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today at the kids garden class I let each kid pull one of my potato plants. I thought they would be surprised at the treasure, but they were actually more like LOOK AT ALL THE WORMS! CAN I CATCH THEM??
Oh well, worms are tough competition for anything I guess.

Next week they get to harvest their own potatoes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Potatoes are so easily bought and inexpensive, after growing some in the seventies, I didn't have them in the garden for over 30 years.

But, even if I was just to have fresh potatoes for a few weeks, I would want to grow them. Even if they were the most common varieties found in every soopermarket, I would want to grow them. They are flavorful when one expects common bland starchiness. And ... it's fun to dig them - a little treasure hunt :).

I tied more string and threw MiracleGro on some of the flowers.

Steve
Wanted you to know something...I used Preen, new package and one year old package around many of my vegetables, but I found a one year unused package of MiracleGro herbicide with fertilizer, so I tried it on the two small flower beds in front of the garage.
EVERYWHERE that I used the Preen it has prevented new seed growth. Both beds with the MiracleGro and growing slowly and full of weeds. I DID weed all of those beds, using my spade to get out the tough ones. I am HIGHLY disappointed in the MiracleGro.
I think the MiracleGro expires and I certainly do NOT need chemical fertilizer at my place.
NOT a fan. :(

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gotta get packed for our trip, so no more gardening until the 21st. DON'T FORGET--SOLAR ECLIPSE!!!! We went to our local planetarium and bought viewing glasses, $1/pair.
I am headed to the solar eclipse too, except first I am going to a wedding in Massachusetts on the 19th. We will jump in the car Sunday morning and drive 17 hours or so to stay with a friend's sister in Indiana. It seems like a crazy idea, but DH was really into it. I am on vacation from school, so this is the only time of year I can be so spontaneous, so off I go!

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am headed to the solar eclipse too, except first I am going to a wedding in Massachusetts on the 19th. We will jump in the car Sunday morning and drive 17 hours or so to stay with a friend's sister in Indiana. It seems like a crazy idea, but DH was really into it. I am on vacation from school, so this is the only time of year I can be so spontaneous, so off I go!

Where will you be staying in Indiana?

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying to play a game called "take back the sun patch" it is so weedy and overgrown. I may not have made the best decision and plant placement either. Whole bunch of sun flower volunteers came up and cleome volunteers came up and I didn't have the heart to pull them all out. So right now I have a colorful bright weedy mess. Some of my chickens decided to lend a hand or wing ha ha. I posted a picture of a sunflower that has white Goo on it. Anyone know what that is?
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2369.JPG

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
White goo? I've no idea. White bubbles at a joint? Usually a small insect whose protection is hiding in the bubbles to avoid being seen by predators.

I really ought to hose it down to see what's underneath of it but it's so yucky it's all over the sunflowers I clip some back today and got a closer inspection.

Latest posts