What Did You Do In The Garden?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked another 6 gallons of beans day before yesterday. The kids enthusiastically helped me and stuck with it the whole way. Hope I can find time to snap and can them this week. There is no room in my fridge for a jug of milk, lol.

Took the pruners and fought back the monsterous snake gourd vines. They are worse than kudzu. I'll remember to give them plenty of space next time.

My grandpa passed away on Sunday. I took my mom and my grandma both big bouquets of our fancy sunflowers. Stuck a few sprigs of black lace elderberry in there for filler. Maybe they'll root. I told them to give it a try.

Harvested my regular elderberries, first good year for them. I got a bunch and will have plenty for a winter's batch of syrup to keep away colds & flu.

Got my first Dad tomato today! It does appear to be a Black Krim, so Dad and I had the same favorite tomato. I am still going to call it his tomato though. :)

Been wanting to plant some fall stuff. Not sure it's ever going to happen. Don't know how I got myself in this boat, but I have had to run somewhere nearly every day in the month of August. :\ 25 minute drive into town. I seriously could live a very happy life as a hermit if people would just let me. Going on vacation in September. Much, much needed vacation! I think I timed it better this year. The garden should be piddling out by then and most of the canning out of the way.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes @journey11 , you should have and deserve a vacation :hugs. Try to make it as much about you as possible.

My grandmother collected tomato seed from something she called "the peddler's tomato." She left the seed with Dad's youngest brother. He gave me some of the seed about 1994.

I grew it side by side with Porter, after I read descriptions and saw photographs of that heirloom. After a couple of seasons, I realized that I couldn't see any difference between the one I called "Pearl's," after my grandmother, and Porter.

That's okay. My uncle told me that she saved the seed from Depression days. Pretty special, don't you think, that it maintained its character? I have already informed my 2 kids that they will have some responsibilities for it, some day.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes @journey11 , you should have and deserve a vacation :hugs. Try to make it as much about you as possible.

My grandmother collected tomato seed from something she called "the peddler's tomato." She left the seed with Dad's youngest brother. He gave me some of the seed about 1994.

I grew it side by side with Porter, after I read descriptions and saw photographs of that heirloom. After a couple of seasons, I realized that I couldn't see any difference between the one I called "Pearl's," after my grandmother, and Porter.

That's okay. My uncle told me that she saved the seed from Depression days. Pretty special, don't you think, that it maintained its character? I have already informed my 2 kids that they will have some responsibilities for it, some day.

Steve

I was really happy that my dad's tomato seeds came back with true Black Krim characteristics. My own seed had gotten crossed up, so now I'll have good seed again. Amazing that your grandmother's tomato remained unchanged over that amount of time. Must be one that has the pistil fully covered by the petals. I've learned to pay closer attention to that. Some stick out and are very likely to cross.
Where you going for vacation ?

Myrtle Beach, SC. DH has a co-worker who rents her house to friends for only $350/week. It is great to have plenty of money left to spend on fun stuff and going out to eat. Makes a nice vacation for the kids. :)

The Big Orange Nuisance is going to be boarded for the week. I would have NO flowers left after that time if I left her here. My other two I could always leave secured in the fenced yard and appoint a family member to come up and tend to them. Not this one, at 10 months giant puppy stage anyway.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Todays pickings....
002.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
007.JPG

Plus on ball bat sized...

Latest posts