What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Picked the first green bell peppers today.
View attachment 21266

Stuffed peppers for dinner!
View attachment 21265

Even the kids love them. Ava ate one and a half. Savannah rejects the pepper part, but little does she know, I pureed the tops and mixed them in with the beef. :D

Off to pick another bucket of beans...
:clap Have you looked at the price of sweet peppers in the store?!?!? It can be almost $2.00/each!!
Nice looking crop. We have had 2 stuffed pepper dinners so far, and I pulled 3 ripe peppers from one plant. I have to make some stuffed (w/cream cheese) jalepano's soon bc they are coming in fast and furious, too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished sawing down the rest of the burdock behind the barn, 4 two wagons full out to the burn pile. Today I am mowing back there and should be able to clear any burdock in front of the barn and take it out. The belt broke on our riding mower, I asked our repairman to pick it up about 3PM and he was done at 5PM, so I go it back, same day. I thought THAT was worth $5 more for the job. Monday night I weeded at DD's in front of their south fence and planted annuals (wax begonias) and a pink azalea ($2.50 on clearance last month) AND a rose, "Drop Dead Red", which WE are calling "Drop Dead FRED Red."
It's nice to sit at the computer and take a break!!! :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you can laugh at this one ;):

I've been tying string ... the dahlias are shorter than recent years but most are in a windy location. The baling twine holds them nice and straight and there is less of a chance that they may be broken. Gladiolas too, require string and support. Other flowers benefit ...

So, I've been tying string. It is hard work. No, really! The dahlias are beginning to bloom and they will need the string at higher levels before too long but right now, the string is still down about knee height. Then, I'm taking off some of the lateral buds. Bending, bending at the waist ... for hours!

digitS' kneading back muscles ... and trying to straighten.

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Picked the first green bell peppers today.
View attachment 21266

Stuffed peppers for dinner!
View attachment 21265

Even the kids love them. Ava ate one and a half. Savannah rejects the pepper part, but little does she know, I pureed the tops and mixed them in with the beef. :D

Off to pick another bucket of beans...
Oh my gosh!!! Get in my belly!!!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are having potatoes for supper from the garden. I had planned on not planting next year, but these are so good. I picked tomatoes and I really need to have my fence up before planting. Really nice tomatoes, but too close and hard to pick. I have a couple of Thelma squash that I hope make it so I can at least taste these things that my friend in Kansas and her whole family swear are the best squash ever and taste like potatoes. I picked some blackberries and elderberries and going to make juice, and a blackberry cobbler. My garden and life has so overwhelmed me this year, but I hope to do better next year. I am so tired of the heat and no rain and trying to keep flowers and grass alive. Actually, all I do is complain unless it is between 55 and 80 degrees. I might even be happy with 50.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yum!!! I just replanted mine for a 2nd harvest and THIS TIME I dug and tilled it right!
I spent 4 hours cutting and moving burdock from in front of the barn. Neighbor kid, very sweet 12yo, asked if I needed (paid) help, so, since I had just bought a 2nd new reciprocating saw, we spent the heat of the day sawing and moving. Gotta get packed for our trip, so no more gardening until the 21st. DON'T FORGET--SOLAR ECLIPSE!!!! We went to our local planetarium and bought viewing glasses, $1/pair.

Latest posts