What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I brought in more annuals and a perennial that won't make it through my winter. Busy with processing peppers and tomatoes, so I had to cover the other plants that I'd like to bring in. We had a supposed freeze two nights running and another predicted for Tuesday morning.
Two of my "new houseplants" were non-hardy geraniums and 3 yellow calla lilies. One has a seed pod. Does anybody know if I stick that in a pot, will it grow?

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Two of my "new houseplants" were non-hardy geraniums and 3 yellow calla lilies. One has a seed pod. Does anybody know if I stick that in a pot, will it grow?
Wow ducks, I just got gifted a "house geranium" and a calla. My first go-round with both! The geranium seems like it will take off, three leafed root piece, one thriving leaf left after planting with rooting hormone. The calla came in peatmoss for winter storage with a dahlia...:fl
@catjac1975 is the lily lady, bet she knows about that seed pod!
Didn't get to actual garden/dirt things today other than bringing in two patio plants to the back porch. Did get rabbit hutches and chicken coop cleaned and semi ready for winter which is a compost thing so that counts in my book. My farmhand (8 year old neighbor girl, been helping me since she was old enuff to walk) really earned her oats today!
(edit to add: I cannot see w_r_ranch's images either)

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll try again...

Escalloped_Pears.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
putting gardens up for winter. past few days have been cold/windy, but i got four of seven done.

also planted the garlic for next year. 26 cloves planted, i always pick out some of the largest cloves to give me the biggest bulbs next season. it's a good strong hard neck garlic from a friend who's since passed away. she got it from her uncle over 80yrs ago.

i made the mistake many years ago of taking the little bulbules and scattering them in my chaotic garden and ever since then i've been trying to weed them out of there because they want to take over. good thing it is delicious as green garlic in the spring. i still have about half that garden to clear.

p5030001_Green_Garlic_thm.jpg

got food, getting warmed up, i suspect a nap may sneak up on me shortly... :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I talked to my neighbor gardener. He is older and really does not do much, but he said next year he is going to get a small tiller like a Mantis to use between plants. DS said he used one for the elderly couple he worked for in their garden and it did not do any good, but the weeds I think were too big. I am wondering would it be harder to get rid of small weeds with a Mantis tiller or using a hoe like the stirrup hoe? I have only used a Mantis once years ago and can't remember what it was like.

Latest posts