What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, since this is the garden task thread...

before during and after pictures from the strawberry patch redo:

100_9268_First_Strawberry_Patch_thm.jpg

p9190001_Partway_Done_thm.jpg

pa250001_First_Strawberry_Patch_thm.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished with the dahlia garden in the more protected location. Finished in the yard. All those roots are in the garage, more than half of what is needed for next spring are in the basement.

Gladiola bulbs have been dug and most are in their basement home, as well.

I guess I'm done with the gardens for the year. Going in for a shower!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
flowerbug~you're far too neatk~that Potbelly Stove~is it to burn garden trash~or```

it was something someone was going to toss because it had a big hole rusted through it. now it is a home for hornets, mices, etc. just a decoration. :)

we don't burn much of anything any more. all the organic stuff is better used as mulch, weed smothering or buried for worm food.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do nothing don't even rake the leaves. I tell myself I don't cut back any flowers because the birds need the seeds for winter food. Works for me

the stuff i try to cut back and get the seeds off are the weeds and a few other flowers (daisies or yarrow) i don't want to scatter all over the place. otherwise, yep, my motto is to keep it simple and that often means nature knows what it wants to do much more than i'll figure out.

Mom will spend a lot of time dead heading flower stalks. most of it will get buried in one garden or another as i get to them. old sheets are useful for bundling things up and hauling them around.

i see sunshine, looks like today will be a beautiful fall day out there. hope we can finish up this bit of fencing repair.

we emptied then truck hauling fresh wood chips around yesterday to fill in the gaps i'd cleaned out. very nice ones, they should last about five years before i'll need to refresh them again. with all the gardens we can use quite a few yards of them a season. they're much lighter to move than crushed limestone and the end product of their decay is excellent garden humus.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just couldn't do it. i couldn't work on that fence and leave that bush in there so 3 hours of hacking and lopping later i took out the honeysuckle bush that was about ten years old.

i've wanted to get to that for so many years now. i love the flowers and the animals love the berries, but they are the messiest shrub/tree and the wood isn't much good for anything either. rots rather quickly. they sure don't belong growing in the drainage ditch either.

there's only a few hundred thousand of them growing here now. i doubt i can get them all out of that ditch in a year or two, but at least whichever ones i can get out of there will let the grasses grow again and help cut down on erosion losses on the banks. loppers and hand saw.

i only stepped in the water/mud once. what's gardening without a bit of mud? :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@w_r_ranch , is it something with my PC -- are there others not seeing your images??

You may not be doing right by your DW. I believe you said that there was a picture of pumpkins from her but ... i couldn't see it!

Okay. I moved the remaining dahlia roots and gladiola corms downstairs. That's done!

Steve