What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday was beautiful outside, a little windy, but still warm and nice to be out there. i did mostly finish the first strawberry patch redo. i still have to clean up and rearrange the edge to make it more easily navigable. one task became four.

at the end i was scrambling to locate suitable transplants and some friends showed up and i had to be kinda short on talking to them because the day was getting on and the light was going to be going out and i still wanted to scan through the bean gardens for any possible pods that i'd missed before or those that had finished up (forecast was for rain, rain and more rain this week). finished up right at dark.

tired puppy today, gonna be a complete indoor veg.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still picking a little kale. I have huge pile of weeds and old plants to haul away. DS and I have a big mess and the leaves are starting to fall. I am going to try to put in one big last effort and get out the biggest part of the weeds and get ready to put the manure and leaves down. At least I hope to get this done.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Expecting frost overnight, 33 degrees for a low. Home today--ROTO ROOTER IS COMING TO CLEAN OUT MY KITCHEN DRAIN!!!! :weee:weee:weee --
cold and windy. Harvested the rest of my Sweet Marconi sweet peppers and filled 3/4 bucket. Also, harvest 3 zucchini, large but I'll eat 'em anyway, harvested the last of the okra, pulled the pepper plants and stacked the cages. Got nothin' from my watermelon vine, but it did it's job helping to keep down weeds, so I'll do THAT again. Go over to the harvest for pictures of my dehydrated peppers!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvested my sweet potatoes today. Did pretty well, but not as large as last year's. Discovered a nest of baby voles and their mama while digging. The kids loved watching them shoot out and spent quite a bit of time moving vines to look for them, caught two to observe, then turned them loose later to plague me next year. I'm surprised they got past the cats.

Also pulled up the last of the beets. Guess I'll pickle those.

Almost put my eye out whacking sunflower stalks with a machete. :confused: A piece of a stick flipped up and hit me, but by reflex I closed my eye just in time and it hit my eyelid instead. I am the one always nagging everyone to wear goggles too... :hide

Saved seeds from my okra, zinnias and some neat two toned pink blushed cosmos I had this year.

Although it came very close, it did not freeze last night. Everything is still growing for now. Found a few lima bean pods on one of my grow-outs. They aren't full with seed though. I still doubt they'll make it in time.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cut down most of the perennials in the beds around the house. Got two 10'x10' foot tarps full that I dragged up to the giant "compost" pit.

I've been having the hardest time making decisions on these dry sunny fall days. They are such a gift! If it's a home day, should I get my yard and animals all prepped for winter while the weather is so pleasant, or load up Luke and haul over to the state park and get some glorious riding time in?

If you saw my yard you'd know the one I pick most often. ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cut down most of the perennials in the beds around the house. Got two 10'x10' foot tarps full that I dragged up to the giant "compost" pit.

I've been having the hardest time making decisions on these dry sunny fall days. They are such a gift! If it's a home day, should I get my yard and animals all prepped for winter while the weather is so pleasant, or load up Luke and haul over to the state park and get some glorious riding time in?

If you saw my yard you'd know the one I pick most often. ;)

Ugh, yes, me too! And that's exactly why I chose my quote below. We've taken a few fun days, hopefully can fit in a few more yet, but there are things that need done before winter that I can no longer put off unfortunately.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cut down the Michaelmas daisies out front, collected more bean seed and wove the raspberries canes along the wires, the old canes were cut out a couple of months ago but I leave the new canes to mature enough that when bent and twisted they won't snap.DH raked leaves.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
working on a fence that was cobbled together years ago that has gotten piled down with wild grape vines and snow. then the deer trampled through it and have been having too easy access to the rest of the yard. so we finally got around to it and have now cobbled together another section that will hopefull deter them at least long enough for the hunters to get them. still have to pound a few stakes in today and put some heavy rocks along the bottom.

while doing that we plugged up the exits of a groundhog den and put stuff over those to discourage them. haha... cute buggers but not what i want in the gardens either, especially when i'm trying to grow tasty beans. at least when the chew on a bean plant they don't usually eat the bottom part so it might come back.

Latest posts