What Did You Do In The Garden?

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
New Year Garden: Walked over the top of a foot of snow, which held my 150# (+/-, usually +) due to the freezing rain and the crust it formed yesterday. Looked at the caved-in greenhouse cover (plastic mesh, 9yrs old) and thought it needed a new one anyways. Frame is still good.
Had DH move some snow to help the roses, they break easy when shoveling the roof, the piled snow helps stabilize them as well as creating an insulation blanket.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
-15 this morning at 6AM. Should be 0 F by 4PM and That is our high today. I can't believe that I got an egg this morning, but yesterday I measured and hammered in two pieces of scrap plywood and scrap particle board where the old barn has a few west wall drafts. That barn was darned warm this morning. My biggest horse is either bored or extra hungry. He has been consuming his straw from where he lays for several days now. It's NOT a problem. Some people feed exclusively straw to cold blooded breeds during the winter. Very low protein and it keeps their gut moving, which is extremely important in very cold weather. I will Try to get pictures. Every animal we have is fat as a pig, except "Pyg", my dog, and she has padding, but no big gut roll.
The heated dog water bowl for the chickens still working great. About to brave the elements to spot clean stalls and kick the horses out for a few hours. I will still need to make one more trip out this evening to put them back inside. It helps them to air out their lungs, even in these extreme cold conditions.
Don't know WHY DH and I bothered to watch the NY ball drop. The coverage was AWFUL and they were complaining about the bitter cold--NOT impressed. Earlier in the evening we had watched a new "Expedition Unknown" about Vikings and were inspired to start LOTR. Finished the 1st film and then switched to live broadcast. I have been getting up at 5AM for months now and I regret staying up to 11PM last night.
Next year I won't bother.
Happy New Gardening Year, ALL!!!!!
Guess it's about time to start some onion seeds.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess it's about time to start some onion seeds.

Is it???? I want to do that this year but wasn't sure when to start them inside for a March planting out. If now is the time, I better get my seeds ordered!!

Ducks, you could air out those horse lungs with a little skijoring..... :D

....looks like fun! ;)

Best use of a mini horse I've ever seen!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have tried them in March and they don't get big enough. I am thinking about using a candle jar with a lid to start some onion seeds. Mine always seem to dry up and die after a month. I'll let you know if it works.
I have 3 dandy looking geraniums that I am overwintering. All are flowering.
Sick of this cold!!! I also have some sprouting from the amaryllis that I bought December, 2016. I planted it in the front bed, brought it in in October, knocked off the dirt and put in in an empty pot on it's side in the dark basement. I brought it out late mid December and it took a good 3 weeks to come back. It was still green, so I knew that I hadn't killed it.
Learning curve with everything green for me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have only one kind of houseplant here... amarylis. as a bulb they are pretty tough to kill. in the fall to get them ready for flowering the next spring, i stop watering them at Thanksgiving or sooner and they will stay green and gradually die back and go into dormancy. a cool basement is probably a better place to put them, but we don't have one of those... so come February i begin to think about if i need to repot any of them and then i do that if needed and start watering them again towards the end of February. flowers show up about a month later.

all times/dates are estimates. :) but that's the general routine...

from the one original bulb from 12yrs ago i now have about 20 plants. i'll have to start giving some away eventually.

what kind do you have? i have a simple red kind. not very fancy compared to some of them i've seen (and of course WANT :) ).

i forgot to mention that i do pull off dead leaves as they die back so they don't look so straggly.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today was nice. We are finally getting back to our normal temps. :)

I cleaned out one of my asparagus beds. Cut the dead stalks down and raked out all the winter "greens" that have sprouted. Gave them to the chickens. The other bed, I really don't know what to do with it. Darn bermuda grass has literally taken it over. I think I may just start over with that bed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it???? I want to do that this year but wasn't sure when to start them inside for a March planting out. If now is the time, I better get my seeds ordered!!

....looks like fun! ;)

That looks like so much fun with the mini's!!!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

....looks like fun! ;)

I started my onions indoor in Sept or October. I will put them out in early May. I had the best onions ever last year. I still have a ton and they may last the whole winter for the first time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday took onion seeds out of dried onion flower heads, if you don't actually mash them up and let the seeds fall out by shaking a little there isn't too much chaff to deal with.

after done getting the seeds the heads were scattered outside so the birds can pick through them.

thus ends my book report. :)

Latest posts