What Did You Do In The Garden?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette, do your hops stay green all year? I have golden hops growing on the dog run chainlink and it climbs another 12 feet into the trees above it.

Also, have you ever propagated it? I tried sharing some with @SweetMissDaisy but my method didn't work. I rooted a flat of cuttings but only a couple took.
Then I sent her home with a huge bundle to try to root in place, but I guess that wasn't successful either. Do you know if you can start them from the hops?

Mine dies to the ground each year. We had to have that tree removed because of disease it was a Kawanzan flowering cherry. I dug the roots, divided in half and planted over an arch, never tried cuttings so can't help there. Mine never made hop flowers it's a male.

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine dies to the ground each year. We had to have that tree removed because of disease it was a Kawanzan flowering cherry. I dug the roots, divided in half and planted over an arch, never tried cuttings so can't help there. Mine never made hop flowers it's a male.

Annette

Well, I had no idea :hu .I thought they were all monoecious. Mine sets thousands of hops every year.

@thistlebloom can you dig up a sucker ?

Yes, and that must be the best solution. They're coming up inside the dog run, so next spring I'll dig them out and pot up. If they grow, I'll offer them to @SweetMissDaisy , and @LocoYokel , and @Gardening with Rabbits if they're interested.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, and that must be the best solution. They're coming up inside the dog run, so next spring I'll dig them out and pot up. If they grow, I'll offer them to @SweetMissDaisy , and @LocoYokel , and @Gardening with Rabbits if they're interested.
:loveI would LOVE one! :love
The one I had was a male, it covered the whole side of my front porch but had to be moved when the porch fell down. It didn't survive last winter in a pot but I am not surprised as it was a very large, established plant with roots that went to China. Digging it in the fall and plopping it in a pot wasn't the best thing for it especially with the frigid temps I had last winter. I'm sure it would have survived if we had been able to put it right into the ground.
The main taproot was bigger around than my wrist. It had been there around five years, a friend gave me a chunk of root with a few stems poking out which I potted and babied the first year. Wish I had thought to take some when I moved it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did nothing in the garden, but about :thin the house. I am going to be a GRANDMA. DD is going to have a baby! :celebrate
What wonderful news! I want more grandchildren to spoil but I guess I should be thankful that I have 2. There is just a lot of love to give them!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW nice!
Last year was the first time I planted brocolli and cauliflower starts and the darn rats ate them. We still have rats but for some reason they are leaving my garden alone right now. They only ate some of my figs, all of the apples, and started getting my tomatoes but I put a stop to that my picking them green.

Mary

Latest posts