What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only started onion seed in January, once.

That was in the greenhouse. It was a bother trying to keep the flat from freezing! Then, the plants needed a haircut but turned somewhat yellow from fertilizer washing away before I could get them into the garden. February has been a better choice for me.

They are never quite as big as what I could get from Texas starts but they are okay.

Steve

I agree at least for me in Idaho. I looked at my planting book and I have been starting onions the first week of February for several years. I think I would have a hard time like you keeping them going if I started in January. There is no way to get them in the ground especially the winters we have had the last couple of years where the snow does not melt.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree at least for me in Idaho. I looked at my planting book and I have been starting onions the first week of February for several years. I think I would have a hard time like you keeping them going if I started in January. There is no way to get them in the ground especially the winters we have had the last couple of years where the snow does not melt.
Mine are indoors in a fairly warm greenhouse. If what you do works, why make a change?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could start them outdoors in late August.

From my reading, that's what is done in Walla Walla. I guess that I could go down and snoop around to see. The problem is that it is 200 miles south. That and it's at half the elevation - which means that the winters are somewhat different.

Oh, my little onions could get through the winters, the 4 times I tried planting them outdoors in August. The problem was how they behaved in the spring - a good percent of them bolted without first forming bulbs. So much for that idea. Maybe a different variety would work.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I’m doing too much of these days:

B794F14C-BF4E-49E4-BDDD-0B4DA981FC32.png

Useless digitS’

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rather then seeds why not plant onion sets ? :hide They are already size of crocus bulbs

Onion sets are usually sold for the growing of green onions, not so much for the growing of sweet slicing type onions. You can buy sweet onion plants that are sold in a bunch, though, if you want to have larger onion bulbs to harvest.

Around here, I can buy 50 plants for around $5-$6 per bunch or a flat of them~larger than you find in a bunch...those in a bunch are about pencil thin or thinner... for $16.99.

I can buy 250 seeds for around $2.50.

Here's a little vid that shows the difference between sets and plants...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about variety and he confirmed my suspicions, if those captions can be believed. Sets are super storage types.

Twenty plus years ago, I had a choice of Ebenezer or Ebenezer for sets.

It’s difficult to even buy that seed because gardeners have too many choices of what to grow from seed. Ebenezer is one tuff little onion, if you want one for safe storage. It’s fine as a green onion.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my potting soil today...it's a little pricier than the usual stuff but I love the germination rate from it~it's organic, all natural, has bat guano, worm castings, fungal rhizomes in it, etc. It's called Happy Frog from FoxFarms. :rolleyes: Don't know why they call it Happy Frog.....

HappyFrog_2CF_7d25d92e1884304ae2313b20ab78e4ca.png

https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/item/happy-frog-174-potting-soil.html

So....ready to start those onions any day now. Just need to find my other deep tray, soak my seed for 24 hrs and do the do. And so it begins.... :)

Latest posts