What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, ya know ... I was commenting on the difference between tar and nicotine ...

Nicotine is an alkaloid, which Wikipedia tells us is a word derived from the Arabic for "ashes of plants." Tobacco ashes have nicotine and other alkaloids in them. I could be wrong but it probably isn't the nicotine in tobacco smoke that is staining. It's the tar.

Other alkaloids are things like strychnine and morphine ...

Tar is tar, although tobacco tar might special. Goop is for external use, of course.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is very interesting how old money vs new money treat antiques. Old money wants the age to show peeling paint, starches, dings and dents left alone. New money wants the piece to look brand new no matter how old, they will totally refinish the piece to look perfect

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
also, remember for some antiques the major part of value is the original patina...
I think it's a matter of choice. Our family enjoys keeping and using family antiques. If you are looking for the highest value you need to treat the piece like it lives in a museum.
@Nyboy, thanks for the link!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when rescueing furniture from the dumpsters sometimes you do come across some actual worthy antiques. nothing i ever rescued deserved fine treatment, so i'd scrub off the dust/dirt, fill in the scratches with wood filler and then sand and paint it. for a few $ new looking furniture.

all this talk about furniture reminds me i need to fix some wobbly chairs... while i'm thinking of it...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
These pieces were office furniture, all used but not really abused. The SA doesn't see their value and was suggesting that they be thrown in the trash. DD disagreed.
Only the wooden coat rack has any real damage, on the bottom and it needs 3/4 metal hooks replaced.
I will try to get some pictures.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a year I had my eye out for a coat rack, can not touch for under $100 here yard sale find $35 needs lot of work
upload_2018-1-17_13-29-7.png
upload_2018-1-17_13-29-42.png
upload_2018-1-17_13-30-14.png

Latest posts