What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Guess I'm not too worried. I think the last time I fertilized my fruit trees was about 5 years ago. I think I'll leave the compost there for a few more weeks and then move it. A lot of nitrogen has already leached into the soil, and I might add some lime to it, too. I literally had not apples from this tree in 2017 and it has always been a big producer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you we had a few very cold nights last spring during my strawberry blooming time and that made a lot of difference for my crop of those too. not sure if that cold got down your ways or not?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are probably right. It usually happens to my peach tree, but I could see that it also happened to my red apple tree. Ever since we refenced and gave the GD apple to the horses it makes apples like gangbusters.
We Did get some of the MI cold! Don't think that we will have a surprise freeze this year. It can't seem to get warm enough for my spring bulbs! I keep looking at my tulips, which have multiplied and really need division, but won't bloom until after Easter.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put seedlings in the greenhouse and have new things planted and basil coming up. I raked leaves in the herb garden and cleaned out old flower stalks and pulled weeds. DS is tearing down one of the 2 rabbit hutches. I have put 2 to sleep in the last couple of months because of being sick. They had Pasturella. The rabbits are getting older. This all started in 2012 and one of them was born in 2010 or 2011. I got the hutch cleaned out and moved them. It will look a lot better in the yard. Have a lot of leaves and I need to work on the raspberries.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put seedlings in the greenhouse and have new things planted and basil coming up. I raked leaves in the herb garden and cleaned out old flower stalks and pulled weeds. DS is tearing down one of the 2 rabbit hutches. I have put 2 to sleep in the last couple of months because of being sick. They had Pasturella. The rabbits are getting older. This all started in 2012 and one of them was born in 2010 or 2011. I got the hutch cleaned out and moved them. It will look a lot better in the yard. Have a lot of leaves and I need to work on the raspberries.

it just feels good to be outside and moving again. :) sorry to hear about the rabbit troubles. :(

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
chopped up some wild grape vines and put the pieces on top of the dirt to continue drying. i have to keep them up top so if they happen to somehow manage to try to grow again i can head them off.

spent some time on critter den plugging up. i was hoping they got the message last fall.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the sugar snap peas planted this evening...they were already sprouted, so it shouldn't take long to see if they will do well. Noted several places in the garden with a fine growth of new grass....each place where it's growing is where my hens have gotten into the garden this winter and scratched the hay back to a thinner layer. Will have to get the old, rotten and wet bales by the dog hut and plop some flakes down on these grass growths.

Also planting trays of veggies tonight and some flowers too. Planted maters~only 2 1/2 doz. this year, hot wax peppers~3 doz., broccoli~1/2 doz., sweet peppers~1/2 doz., romaine lettuces of various kinds ~2 doz. for now...will do succession plantings of these, carrots, pak choi, nappa, etc., 1/2 doz. pak choi, 1/2 doz. carrots. When these greens hit the garden, I'll plant some green onion sets with each succession planting so that each planting will have all I'll need for a salad each week. I'll try to do that all spring and into the summer for as long as the heat will allow.

I'll also plant some sunflowers in this one tray, seeds gleaned from that huge volunteer I had in the garden this past year. I want to plant one seedling of that plant at each fence post, which I'll tie to the post to support it. I'll then plant some Fortex and half runner beans at each sunflower.

Next tray will have to be zinnias and calendula...this year I hope to plant seedlings instead of direct sowing, so that I can more easily space them for getting less leggy growth, more air and more support.

Tomorrow I'll cut up my seed taters and let them get to curing out.

And so it begins, folks...the new garden season is upon us. I pray a blessing on my gardening efforts and also on all your efforts out there in your individual gardens. May we have a great gardening year!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having fun outside and enjoying a little sun. The rabbit trouble is coming to an end. I do not feel stressed about them anymore and manageable now.

i'm glad the stress has improved. :)

the other day when i went out to start chopping all the wild grapevines i had a minor panic attack. it's a huge pile. but then i just got going and started in. always an adventure. one day/task at a time.

Latest posts