What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , which 4 varieties of spuds did you plant?
:caf
Not very uncommon ones, Thistle', but now 5 :)!

I found the Purple Viking on the way home from the garden and bought all of 3. They aren't quite planted, yet.

They will join Yukon Gold, Red LaSoda, Purple Majesty, and Russet Burbank. The Burbank can be for late and we will see how things go after they are left in until frost. Oorrr .. we won't get spuds by the boatload and can just eat them as usual, finishing in January.

The Purple Vikings I'd thought about planting here at home but DW isn't very receptive to the idea of potatoes taking up precious square feet. I mean, it's not like I'd be squeezing them into the flower beds! Losing a few feet of basil shouldn't ... well, okay ... The problem they had in the big veggie garden last year with splitting makes me a little defensive with Purple Viking. They have been #1 for production until I planted them in that soil and the Purple Viking were the only ones to split. It wasn't a huge problem because they had healed by harvest and we just ate them first. Just don't quite understand ...

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
i messed my lower back up yesterday just putting something into the car for Mom. yep, it was early morning and i hadn't moved much yet. gonna be like you for a while, taking it careful until it recovers... this is first time in several years. i won't say you jinxed me here @Collector, i know better, but at least we can grumble in sympathy... :)

some year they'll have it figured out how to redesign the spine so it won't have such issues...

Oh flowerbug, this is not the time for back to go out. Hope it gets better soon , my situation is getting progressively worse. Standing upright and moving around no problems at all. Bending over is ok but trying to get back upright is really painful. I going to give it a bit more time if not getting better I will go see dr.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh flowerbug, this is not the time for back to go out. Hope it gets better soon , my situation is getting progressively worse. Standing upright and moving around no problems at all. Bending over is ok but trying to get back upright is really painful. I going to give it a bit more time if not getting better I will go see dr.

thanks! hope you get some relief too.

i've been through this so many times i know the routine.

stuck my fingers in some knotted muscles yesterday and while it hurts like white hot knife stick when i do it often that will help for the next days. so didn't sleep the best but woke up this morning feeling a little better. going to be tender/sore for a while and will see the chiropractor in a few weeks once this has calmed down.

will avoid regular doc as long as i can. i don't want surgery or drugs. in the past i would use 200-400mg of ibuprofen before bed to reduce inflamation but i haven't had to do that in a long time. we'll see... day to day is how it goes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hops? Brewing your own beer?
Small time brewing is really the thing. I am SO HAPPY for a local microbrewery! In case they start selling nationally their name is RIGGS, and it's a local Champaign County family. They bought these 5 acres that was (seemed like forever) a bar and eatery and baseball league field. We used to drive by during baseball season at night and saw the big floods on the fields for late games. It was sold, went through 3 businesses but Riggs bought it last year and they are growing hops and the other stuff on site. You can see the plastic tunnels so popular right now to keep hydrated and the weeds out. They are open for beer and food 6 days/week and have specials. DD was there recently. Class act.

Latest posts