What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday got a strip of brush cleared 100’ wide by 100 yards long . It was thick chest high brush and four trees that were dead. We had to do it for fire protection and our homeowners insurance insisted on it. I brought an excavator from work to do the work, it took 9 hours of steady working. Nephew and friend have been here Friday and Saturday, and coming later this morning to work some more. We made a burn pile by the garden and nephew and friend loaded over 30 pickup loads and hauled to burn pile, that really saved my back. Also got 200’ of field fence erected and stretched, about 1500’ feet left to go. Also still have to finish garden fence, but things are moving along. DW keeps the boys in drinks and pizza to keep them working and they doing a lot of hard work. I think nephew is here cause he feeling sorry for me, he stopped by Wednesday evening and saw how bad my back was and been here most everyday since then. I don’t ever want anybody feeling sorry for me, but I will take any help he willing to do right now. His dad is a “pos” pardon my French but he has never been a part of nephews life. FIL and I have been the ones who have had to take him under our wing and teach him how to work and be a good person and he good at both now. He been hanging around with me a lot since FIL passed in 2014, except now that he is getting ready to graduate he busy with other things. So I am happy he came over and helped out around here for a few days. It doesn’t hurt that his uncle mike pays the best also lol, that’s my hook. Hopefully have time to get the potatoes planted this evening.

Wow Collector, that is an impressive bit of work done! Having the right equipment sure makes it go faster. And you had some able workers there to assist. 30 truckloads of brush! That is going to be a few awesome bonfires.

It sounds like you have been a very wholesome and positive influence on your nephew. That's priceless.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector i heartily recommend 400-600mg of ibuprofen just a bit before bed (and i usually have something to eat with it too because i don't want it to mess up my stomach)... it really makes a lot of difference.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recommend 4-6 ounces of vodka before bed :lol::lol::lol:

lol, passing out is not sleeping... :)

if i'm in severe pain and can't get to sleep that can be a way to knock me out, but it hasn't been that bad so far. i just haven't slept well, but finally took a few ibuprofen last night. slept much better. i think i'll survive...

today, weeding, weeding and more weeding, whatever i can get done. and get some of the buckets of wood ashes spread on some gardens. i think i have about 30 buckets in the shed and they all have to come out of there anyways...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ashes probably aren't very heavy ... although, I used to carry buckets of them upstairs from the packing shed's basement from the auxiliary furnace ... but, that is beside the point.

Position your load, try for balance of weight for both hands, face the door, lift ... walk.

Just taking some time while bending is helping me avoid discomfort. The activities can then be beneficial.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday we were still picking up limbs and wood and burning it. Nephew and I got another 400’ of field fence up and he put the wire clips on. Had to return equipment to job site return truck to truck yard and switch trailers for driver today. Still a long ways to go around here ,so thankful for Cody and friend working last few days it has made a big difference. My back is still on the fritz but I think it may be a little better now. Never got the taters planted I’m falling behind on that job. Maybe tonite.

Latest posts