What Did You Do In The Garden?

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday I deadheaded poppies and pansies. Pulled some weeds (like everyone else) Why can't plants grow as fast as weeds.
We've had rain of and on for 3 days so not much work in the garden.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoping to get some much needed mowing done with Maverick here today. Also want to get something planted in the garden and replant the tomatoes. Probably going to end up driving Spouse all over the county and sign the papers for a 39-horse John Deere tractor today.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, @Smart Red, this is going to be your tractor, right? Do you think DH will agree to that?

Spouse has no real idea that he just went into debt to that tune. He's smiling at the 'free' cap they gave him to advertise their business.

Yes, he knows I'm getting the tractor. He has seen what it looks like in the catalog and at my nephews (the store didn't have what I wanted on hand). Nope, he doesn't want to drive -- not at all. Won't pick up his chainsaw anymore either. It takes one smart man to know what he can't do anymore after being able to do everything.

I'm getting a bucket, a back hoe, and a cab. Nephew has a tiller. I figure we can share back hoe and tiller. I already have a mower and drag, too. With the raised beds, I really don't need a tiller for much anyway.

Paper are signed and processed. Now we wait for the dealership to find one nearby and bring it over. Title work will list the owners as me and the son. That will hopefully eliminate problems with estate later.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planted out more tomatoes and did a bit of weeding, topped up the koi pool and watered the large planter around the back and sides of the koi pool, it's under a clear fiberglass roof so doesn't get the rain when when the downspout is used to fill a rain barrel. Deadheaded some Rhodos, I see I have another Cardiocrinum about to bloom :).

Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't buy it for the colors.
1.) The dealership is close if I need them. The nearest Ford dealership is quite a bit further. The Kabota dealership wasn't interested in helping me when I stopped to compare pricing. Kabota is also IH/Case so they lost out hands down.
2.) Nephew (5 miles) has the same tractor so we can share attachments.
3.) Nephew did price all the tractors in that size range. Almost bought a Husquavarna,(sp?) but decided on JD. That dealership was also quite a bit further than JD's.

Seedcorn, this is John Deere country. There's not many IH tractors that go by. We do have one in the shed, but it's too big, too old, and too jury-rigged from years of use for me to handle. If I have to do all the work, I need to make the work as easy as possible. That's why the machine. With 30 acres, we don't need a road hog, but 30 hp is just about right.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, agree you buy the dealership, NOT the color of equipment. There are many more Deere dealerships than Case/IH, Kubota or Ford/New Holland. Good choice on avoiding Husqvarna. Why do you say Kubota is Case/IH? 2 different companies.

I have NO preference on make. In mowers, believe certain mowers are over priced MTD's.