What Did You Do In The Garden?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red :celebrate:celebrate:weee:weee:ya:ya:clap:clap:clapNever go wrong with a deere.
... and here I thaught that North Easterners were always complaining about the deer eating their flowers and kale . Not to mention all of the dead deer on the side of the road from hit and run 2AM partying drivers . :eek: :idunno :hu :caf

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
New(er) state rules: import turkey buzzards and let nature take care of road kill. Not exactly lazy workers, but a cost effective alternative perhaps? Good for carrion eaters, bad for walkers and the occasional mower.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Road kill deer is why we have the largest size coyotes in country
Think coydogs ( coyote x dog = crossbreds) as well as wolf x coyote x dog = hybrids to account for the sizes now seen. Roadkill are just a ready to eat convenient snack.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I transplanted 23 hosta from their nursery to their forever-for-now homes. I'd take a photo, but the babies are so small and the chickens have done their damage.

I also dug, divided, and transplanted one hosta. Managed to get a lot of starts from that one hosta that was too big for the front border. Now two more trees are fenced in. This hosta has a big thick growth habit that will keep the weeds out and make mowing much easier once the starts do their thing and fill in.

I tried a weed and feed application with a sprayer today. Usually I end up walking miles and miles pushing a drop spreader. Not sure I like the sprayer. For my S-I-L's yard which includes a rather large field of grass and very few flowers or shrubs, it works well, but for my yard with flower beds here and there and hosta around the trees I don't think it will work.

I'm going to try it in the gully before I take the sprayer back, but that's the only place I don't have valuables that I need to avoid spraying. My list of "to do's" is growing for once my tractor arrives. I'm hoping the tractor comes with hands on instruction. I'm not afraid to learn new things, but I'm not sure a book is the best way to learn how to use the tractor attachments. Think I'll give the dealership another visit to set something up.

My oldest granddaughter is coming home from her visit to Portland, OR tomorrow. Haven't had a chance to talk much, but she did tell her parents that there are "sure a lot of liberals out there" which made the people rather weird in her opinion. . . not far from the family tree, that one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"sure a lot of liberals out there"
"As of October 2015, the City of Portland has the highest rental growth rate in the nation," according to their city government.

Portland has the lowest rate of preterm births of any city in the nation, according to The March of Dimes.

These facts taken together just goes to show you that nobody (including our babies) wants to go there because as Yogi Berra would tell us, it's too crowded!

;) Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Portland is definately too crowded , but it seems that more people come to Portland every day. I drive to downtown Portland at least twice a month. The idiototic bicyclists are bent to use my car as a suicide weapon, but fear not, my reflexes are far superior to theirs. So they use someone elses' cars with far more success. The homeless population is also soaring and more and more panhandlers are siting on highway/ street off ramps as well as busy street corners to ask for "aid" for food ,but more likely for booze , mary wanna, and other drugs.