What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too many here you have to stand beside to make sure they aren’t a Gilligan and screw up more than they fix......

Don’t get me wrong as there are some good ones, just not enough....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It might, Ducks'!

Then, I could use a team of oxen to drag the rototiller thru rough ground. I swear, any unevenness to the surface and it is nearly impossible to hold it straight!

I realized something, yesterday. I may have experience farming but I still garden as though I'm stuck between walls and under roofs of glass. If production costs (& income, & labor) can be measured by the square foot - I'm okay. I want it all!

I'm not gonna be a truck farmer. I don't wanna be a truck farmer. When I get olde(r), I want a garden right at the foot of my backstairs. Maybe one on more than a single floor ... I can have 12 months of the best food! ... & an elevator!!

Steve

if you have a good enough location you don't have to haul stuff. the hard part of running a veggie/fruit stand is just being there and dealing with people. the guy we used to get things from just could not find good workers - he ended up quitting running his own stand down the road from us and switched to a market, but i'm not sure how he's done since then since i don't see him any more.

running a tiller is hot and heavy work if it is the walk behind kind. i did my last bout of that 7 yrs ago or so and i hope i don't have to do it ever again. i'll dig by hand first.

http://www.anthive.com/project/ne_garden/

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today planted okra, green beans, cabbages, eggplants and a new type of Roma for me. Trying Super Italian paste-write up says sweet as well as large yields. Have a bunch of volunteer San Marzano that I will transplant.

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I turned dirt for a bed. It is about 20 feet like and 3 feet wide and a foot wide walk path. It took about an hour, but I still have some raking and adding manure. I may get my whole garden turned. I am thinking of doing something like the picture. Are these rows in the picture 2 feet or 3 feet wide? Would 3 feet be a better choice?
zzzzzz.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are 3', it looks like the paths are 2'.

I'm not sure who would need or much appreciate a bed smaller than 3'. 5' is a real stretch for me - nothing I'm interested in doing.

In one garden I had, it worked out that I could have my usual 4' beds if the paths were only 18". Beds with no frames -- I could layout those measurements, then I'd walk on the edges of the beds all summer. I just could not keep my feet confined to an 18" path.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Between phone calls and picking up a couple more loan signings AND kitten-sitting--they are demanding more soft food, now!!--didn't get out to do ANYTHING until 4PM today! :th
I tilled up some stall waste from last winter, and tilled it into the first bed. I am having push mower problems, so I used my spade to dig up weeds, mostly chickgrass, including some garden dirt, put it all in a wheelbarrow and dumped it in the chicken run. They LOVED it and decided that the new dirt would be good to bathe in. Honestly, the first time you see a chicken take a dirt bath, you think that they are in their death throes!
I went beyond the edges of the bed an promised t-storm came this evening. Tommorow I am covering it in plastic while it is still soaking wet and try to kill the seeds in it. I think I will direct plant cabbage there.
I also finished cleaning the stalls that my horses are no longer using since they are out to pasture full time now. THAT is a first. Usually I look at the mess in the 3 stalls come July and have a talk with my past self about cleanliness is next to Godliness...or something like that, and why did I wait?
SOMEtime this Spring I will strip their shelter. I hope the tiller can help me...

Latest posts