What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector! That's scary! I'm relieved to hear you cut the log off your foot and not the other way around.
Yeah, that sounds real bad - alone- chainsaw- steep hill- big logs- shudder... and with your back being marginal. Send this to your boss- :smack

I thought you did road work, or is that what you were doing?

Your garden sounds great!
So far mine is just tomatoes and peppers.:rolleyes:
I'm having a hard time carving time out for more planting. Work is a necessary evil, and when I'm free Luke calls, haha.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I planted peppers on the south side of the stockade fence where they will get nice sun and protection from the wind. Also, I stapled nylon netting on the fence to try to prevent the deer from dining on the plants. (netting is hard to see but it is there) It may work, but they may also use it for dental floss. :\

peppers.jpg

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I planted peppers on the south side of the stockade fence where they will get nice sun and protection from the wind. Also, I stapled nylon netting on the fence to try to prevent the deer from dining on the plants. (netting is hard to see but it is there) It may work, but they may also use it for dental floss. :\

View attachment 26142

I vote for a line of hot wire in front of those peppers. They make small portable battery operated ones for keeping dogs out of (fill in the blank).
Then set your game cam up and enjoy the show.

Oh...sorry. Do I sound a tiny bit vindictive?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote for a line of hot wire in front of those peppers. They make small portable battery operated ones for keeping dogs out of (fill in the blank).

I have a repellent that works, but it smells so bad it even repels me. I don't think I would want to eat anything that had this stuff on it. Whew!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

only if you put peanut butter on the wire...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , we decided last winter that I am going to stop doing roadwork , or anymore out of town work. Staying closer to home from now on out, I have a grandson now lol. So far with this new company I have managed to bang myself up a few times. They really need to get some laborers hired and have one with every operator, to speed things up and keep me off the ground so much. Right now they have one laborer and he has worked with me three days in three months. The rest of the time it just me grinding away all day. I am still in the job market if something comes up better, but I asked a high hourly wage and they did not argue about it. So here I am hobbling around for a couple weeks.
P.s a memo came out this morning , no more processing timber without at least two people on job site. I guess we will never process timber again lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector , on the farms we had a rule that we never run a chainsaw while alone. That was neighbor and at home work but still! It can't be safe or wise for employer's insurance.

Finished planting the tomatoes (except for the 2 plants I forgot at home - sorta thing happens daily ;)). Only a few peppers this year. There is plenty of hot peppers dry in the house and we will have several in containers this year.

First planting of sweet corn! I've crowded the rows as usual. I've made a mistake by crowding the rows. Very quickly, all weeding will have to be by hand because the rototiller won't fit.

Sad note: had tried to mess up marmot residence in the rockpile yesterday. Neighbor has a bunch of old lumber up there and the marmots have moved under it, as they did about 7 or 8 years ago. At that time, I shot them.

Today, they must have decided to move closer to the garden instead of recognizing that it was the gardener up there banging on their house in the rockpile! I hit one with a rock, then hit him with my shovel ... believe it or not, he still got away. He's doomed and probably long dead by now. He barely made it down a hole under neighbors garage ... I feel bad ... I guess I should have grabbed him or done something to slow him down enough to belt him a second time with the shovel. I was too lame to catch up to him. His mate is still running free but my guess is that she has crossed the border by now and won't be back.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , I am not for doing any kind of construction work with one guy. To much bad stuff can happen in a hurry. This outfit is growing to fast and are short handed everywhere. On a gardening note we have planted 35 pepper plants this afternoon and the cooler weather today has kept the tomatoes and other garden plants happier today. I am determined to get actual corn from the garden this year, something always eats the silk off the ears and we get no corn. I would not worry about the marmot instinct got him to the hole where he probably died immediately.

Latest posts