What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Collector , glad you're feeling better. I learned that onion remedy from a friend whose son got chronic ear infections. It worked every time. I used it a few times on the kids and it definitely helped them.
Another thing we do when we start getting symptoms is drink garlic tea. Crush a couple of cloves into a mug, cover them with very hot water and let it steep until warm enough to drink. Add a spoonful of honey and a squeeze of lemon.

Sounds like you're getting Thomas started right. Put that kid to work young and he'll never know the difference! Hard work will be as natural as breathing, haha.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We placed all the mulch we had and came up short we maybe need 3 more loads to finish all we want to cover. I did not feel as bad today while placing the mulch so I must be getting better. DW took a video of me unloading with the loadhandler but cannot figure out how to post it. It keeps flashing a warning at end of upload about some number it needs , not sure what to do. I gonna keep trying to figure it out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We spread wood chips yesterday. They were pretty inexpensive and I had 24 yards delivered. Our generous neighbors let dh use their brand new skid steer. We didn't even ask, they just insisted.
That was great because it only took a couple hours. We'd still be out there if we had to use our usual method.
20180615_174623.jpg

They are fresh and very bright, but will mellow out before too long (I hope!). They smell delicious though. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Okey dokey. ANOTHER...interesting...garden season. We have had 3 days straight of oppressive heat indexes over 100 degrees. Yes, I KNOW that you East Texans are used to it, but DH would die if he had to do anything outside in this heat and humidity. Yesterday I put in 90 minutes very early, before 8AM then camped out inside where DH was binge watching the most recent "Upstairs, Downstairs," but Saturday I almost cleared the ~20 feet bed of black raspberries, only about a 4' x 4' area left. Just me and my spade digging out weeds, canes, removing and transplanting a growing Christmas tree stuck in the ground until further notice (eviction Saturday and moved to it's proper grow spot), 2 chrysanthemums that I had forgotten about and lots of pieces of bindweed. If you didn't know this be aware that little pieces of bindweed grow INTO bindweed, so it is best to remove it and throw it away OR burn it.
I promise to find my camera bc I need to document this momentous effort. This will be my pepper bed for 2018. Speaking of them, I have had to stick peppers, jalepenos, a few cucumbers and extra tomatoes into any makeshift pot that I can find. I planted them all in compost this morning to buy some time to put them into the ground. I still have about a dozen sitting in their original pots and in standing water so as not to lose them. Bless their little hearts, some have fruit on them. Home Wednesday to wait for the dishwasher guy--pump is broken--so I hope to finish the bed and plant it.
DD's came over for pizza and we watched "Back to Future", bc WE have the blue ray player. If you ever get the chance to do so you should attend an orchestra playing the music to the movie AND seeing it on the big screen. I caught some details that I had missed, and I think I've seen it about 25x.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom you have some nice neighbors, that saved a lot of hours of labor.
Are you doing back to eden garden.?

We have amazing neighbors, all of them are that helpful and generous. No BTE there. We took down a bunch of pens and opened that area up. Without animals on it the weeds moved right in. I'm hoping to quell a little of the weed spread.

Is that a stone pathway ?

That's my version of dry creek bed. It separates the lawn from the outer areas.

Latest posts