What Did You Do In The Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary: its my daughter who withholds.

Miss S is 12 and is tall - I spoke with Nyboy about her a while back re basketball. 5'5" so far.
Master J is 8 going on "trouble". He's waaay too smart for his britches!!
I misunderstood. I thought it was the grands who preferred to stay in the apt.

I would think she would love the break. At least I know my daughter does She gets very excited when the kids do an overnight lol.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeding and adding another layer of string to the pea trellis. The weeding began again yesterday and has now continued 360 to start a 2nd go-round from the start, several weeks ago.

A nearby gardener gave us some of her pea pods. If the tractor guy had been there on time with the spring tilling - those snow peas might not have been such a pleasing sight! We rejoiced but should have some off our vines in another week ...

Came home and sprayed the climbing rose. I will give neem oil another try in reducing the mildew. It didn't do the job years ago when I tried it. Still, I have never had to spray that climbing rose more than once with a conventional product and some years not at all. The only thing I expect from it is that the flower buds open. Right now, it looks like they won't open because of the mildew and that happened once before.

Johnny's has another organic fungicide made with "cottonseed oil, corn oil, and garlic extracts." I wonder if that works better than neem oil.

Steve
Edit: oh hey, @murphysranch ! Do you use crab rings off a pier? I had those many years ago and there didn't seem to be anyone else doing that :).

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dunno...I've only crabbed in Barnegat Bay off of New Jersey. And clammed there too, with our toes on sand bars. Grandpa used crab cages - I used to put a fish head inside it in the middle and then pick it up the next day from Grandpa's boat. I'll go look up Crab rings....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked strawberries yesterday, gave them to my brother who has too much shade and only gets a few berries each year. also did the $0.25 garden tour with him and talked, had lunch, putzed around with air-rifle to get it sighted in better.

washed car, took pics before pollen and birds got it again.

put better poles up for fence in front, deer ran it over the other night. chicken wire isn't really a fence to be used for deer, but that's what Mom bought.

want to do bean inventory today, raining again...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I FINISHED digging up all of the blackberries!!!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee
First time I had to prune my knockout yellow rose. I took my tree lopper to prune, still had my welder's gloves on from the blackberry work and used the lopper to grab and remove the rose canes. I would say 40% dieback, and this is first time I have seen this much. I cleaned up the bed around the clematis, pale pink mini rose, knockout rose, and an undetermined red rose that didn't like this spot, thrived when I moved it, but got surrounded by poison ivy so I moved it back last year. Apparently it grew nice roots and LIKES the original spot. I will be putting down PREEN around ALL of these today so that I can enJOY them this summer. I cannot tell you HOW that little rose has survived being shaded out by a sapling in the corner (I dug down and sawed off and covered with cardboard, dirt and a small, broken piece of cement paver) AND by blackberries canes and bindweed for several years! When your DH ends up in the hospital several times in a year (2016), gardening and maintenance gets put on the backburner.
I hand dug with my spade and dug up and removed as much bindweed runners as I could find. Some of the bed really needed digging so I pulled out my tiller and prepped the bed for today's pepper planting. It is ~4-5' x 20'
While tilling I revealed several bindweed roots which I tossed in the trash.
Between the pouring in the morning and the T-storm in the afternoon I planted 17 bell peppers, a 20' row of ~80 Indian corn, a row of okra, a row of black beans, 7 cucumber plants and 5 mounds of Blue Doll pumpkin, from seeds that saved from last year. They were well watered twice yesterday!
I found more bindweed to dig up and dispose of. I have a used spray bottle to spot hit the bindweed that managed to survive my digging and I am NOT AFRAID to do so.
I also dug down, sawed off and covered up 5 saplings trying to make a go of it in the gravel driveway behind my trucks, and sawed off suckers from a tree that has GOT to be killed off this year, right on the north edge of the driveway.
Another first, I had to prune back 1/4 of my Rose of Sharon which was dead. The rest looks healthy.
Last winter was brutal in many ways.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled the ground for the final planting of Sugar Buns sweetcorn (DW's favorite). Went down each row with the spading fork to gain some depth. I've become a believer in transplanted corn. It handles transplanting well and, for limited plantings, isn't that much bother.

Then, again tilled paths -- nearly all of them.

Came home and after dinner had so much trouble with falling asleep in the lazy boy! Finally, got a shower and went to bed.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you that's a busy day!

at least poison ivy grows slowly enough that you have a chance against it. i'm very glad i don't have to contend wth blackberries. i love eating them, but not enough to grow them... after some trips out west and seeing what Oregon deals with i'd not ever plant them here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm planning on doing something today. not sure what yet. weeding, something light, still trying to give arm/knee recovery time, but really getting fed up with this routine. the weather is perfect for heavy work and i'm stuck thinking about it and not able to do it yet. also need to inspect bank of ditch for groundhog holes/den activity and can't do that either. grr... i hate this. may just get cords out and hedge trimmer and raze back patch as it is getting too tall and problem weeds are starting to go to flower/get seeds. plus i can't see invading groundhogs/rabbits and don't want them to get the idea they can just traipse through without anyone raising an issue with that... gonna hurt if i do it. dang it... might try to figure out how to do it anyways or use lawnmower as weed wacker, i can do that without twisting arm or knee. hmm... maybe will work that ways... we'll see...

instead really want to get out there and dig and get that whole area done. can't do it one handed and one-legged. always want to bend and twist and use the arm and knee. it's not good. pissing me off. wish i had a beer (see below - just joking)...

yesterday was massage day and then i had a bit of fun in the afternoon.

we had some very old beer in cans and they needed to be emptied so i didn't want to get too close to them while opening because they were sitting in the sun and ready to blow - used the airgun and the first one blew up so much i decided to line the rest up and see how many a bullet would go through.

the force from the bullet will move an entire line of 9 of them and knock down the back one but it will only go through two to three cans at a time. a few of them had holes that were squirting beer all over the place i was laughing my a$$ off.

when done i was missing a can. not sure where it went or even if it is missing, i thought we had 12 there. hmm. i sure didn't eat it. perhaps it flew on other side of six foot fence?

rinsed off/out all of them a few times and hosed down area, going to smell like a brewery back there. hope no creatures are attracted to that smell... like i need more of that going on here. hahahaha...

job done.

no old beers no more. recycle gets 'em.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you that's a busy day!

at least poison ivy grows slowly enough that you have a chance against it. i'm very glad i don't have to contend wth blackberries. i love eating them, but not enough to grow them... after some trips out west and seeing what Oregon deals with i'd not ever plant them here.
I must have super Poison Ivy You can almost watch it grow, in a week double size.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must have super Poison Ivy You can almost watch it grow, in a week double size.

hmm, what little we have left of it is very shaded out so it doesn't grow very fast at all. it's also not very big. i check it once a season in the north hedge to make sure nothing new is going on and try to get out what i can of it while i'm in there.

Latest posts