What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
on break now and perhaps rest of the day, we'll see... got one garden weeded, started on another, picked cucumbres! saw cool spider... :) :) :)

making cheese, cucumber, sandwich for lunch-dinner-snack. a nap likely. Mom's off playing cards so no radio/stereo playing and can enjoy quiet moments and birdie songs for a while.

summertime and the living is easy...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted okra for the 6th time. Bad enough the dog chased a deer running through my garden-right down the okra row. Then I saw my wife’s foot prints walking right down the row, not beside it but ON IT. Then right under the row was a mole run-5th time for that. Don’t think I’m meant to have okra this year...... just to make life interesting, my saved okra seed lacks good germ as well as low vigor.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
B
Planted okra for the 6th time. Bad enough the dog chased a deer running through my garden-right down the okra row. Then I saw my wife’s foot prints walking right down the row, not beside it but ON IT. Then right under the row was a mole run-5th time for that. Don’t think I’m meant to have okra this year...... just to make life interesting, my saved okra seed lacks good germ as well as low vigor.
Boy, when it rains it pours. Just buy it at the farmer's market this year and get new seed next year.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had to clean house Saturday AND Sunday. We had a family birthday party for DH on Sunday. Didn't get to do much of anything outside.
So...I get home early today (Monday) and mow the burdock and other weeds in the South Pasture. Then, I head to the turnout behind the barn. I am elated bc the mowing I did 2 weeks ago made a big impact. I am happily mowing, then I hear a funny sound and the riding mower is overheating! :he DH tells me it needs more oil. I change out the oil after letting it cool down for a good hour. Tries to turn over...then...nothing. I had to push it to the garage, about one acre away from where I was mowing.
***Ducks has a pity party***
NOW DH thinks I broke his mower!! :hit
***Ducks has aNOTHER pity party***
Called the mower guy. He doesn't like the sound of things and can't get to it until Thursday OR Friday OR Saturday!! :barnie:barnie:barnie:hit:hit:hit
***Ducks has a THIRD pity party***
Probably just needs a good cleaning...OR...a good replacement.
There wasn't much left to finish. I can probably hand mow the rest.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary I’m too stubborn (& cheap) for that. I have 9 plants alive-hope lives.

The honey nut butternut is blooming and vining big time.

you keep saying moles are eating your seeds, but they don't eat seeds or plant roots, they may disturb them, but they don't eat them.

voles will eat about anything... do you have voles instead?

if you have a steady and reliable run that they are using you can trap them easily enough (look up nash, choker loop mole trap). they are not easy to set, but they work and when they go off you know if you've gotten a mole or not))...

i used to trap moles as a kid as part of my lawn mowing jobs, my fee was $10/mole but that was always a bargain in comparison to what many people spent on gadgets, grub killers, etc. and the "damage" they would do to the lawns. i just thought it was so strange. moles are great creatures with the softest fur you'll ever feel. just that some people want perfect lawns and they're willing to pay a lot of $ for that... i just rake the dirt they stir up across the surrounding grass and then mow away.

Latest posts