What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, that actually wasn't too bad. i did try the lawn mower as a weed wacker trick. and while it wasn't the best thing to do with the mower at least it is now all knocked back out there and now i won't hear Mom saying, "I wish I had mowed that when I wanted to." (which is pretty much always anyways :) ) because now she can mow it all she wants until i get it redone.

this saves me a huge amount of work in weeding back there as it is full of garlic which was just starting to get scapes on it and many other weeds that would have been dropping seeds and grasses that were getting longer and... usually it takes me an hour or two to go through and just chop the scapes off before they drop and make more babies, let alone to deal with everything else in there.

no twisting done to arm or leg, critters have no more cover to hide in, i got something useful done today...

and i'm not cold any more. :) :) :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled the ground for the final planting of Sugar Buns sweetcorn (DW's favorite). Went down each row with the spading fork to gain some depth. I've become a believer in transplanted corn. It handles transplanting well and, for limited plantings, isn't that much bother.

Then, again tilled paths -- nearly all of them.

Came home and after dinner had so much trouble with falling asleep in the lazy boy! Finally, got a shower and went to bed.

Steve

i've never heard of transplanting corn before. probably because they grow so much of it around here that it just all gets plopped in the ground by mongo machines.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poison ivy has sent me to the ER more then once. Dam birds love its berries there dropping sprouting new ivy everywhere. I can go though gallons of round up a season tring to keep it in check. I think it out grows the wild grape here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poison ivy has sent me to the ER more then once. Dam birds love its berries there dropping sprouting new ivy everywhere. I can go though gallons of round up a season tring to keep it in check. I think it out grows the wild grape here.

to control in forested area you have to get it off the trees so that it won't give berries. i've removed it from all trees so now it is residual bits and whatever the birds bring in from the surrounding area.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weaving maters in the fencing, suckering mater and peppers, spraying for squash, cuke and Jap beetle bugs, picking snap peas, green onions and pak choi for salad, picking raspberries to throw into my fruit salad. Not enough yet for a pie or jam but we'll get there.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today was watering day. It took me a few hours to get everything watered, but it is finally done. It's so hot here, it just sucks the life right out of ya.

DH got me a 25 gallon sprayer to use for watering. Makes it much easier than hauling 5 gallon buckets around. Instead of just using 5 buckets, I've gotten 5 more thinking it will be faster. It is faster, but having that many buckets doesn't give you any time for a break. By the time you get the 2nd 5 buckets filled, some of the first ones are empty and ready to move somewhere else. It goes on & on & on, LOL

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Won’t quit raining here so weeds keep sprouting. I can’t keep up. Grasses are winning....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally off the crutches :ya so was able to do a little in the garden today. Planting is now close to complete... put in a big bed of water spinach, and bean transplants to replace those which were destroyed earlier. Started putting up the trellis for pole beans & runner beans, will finish that tomorrow.

The only vegetable yet unplanted is zucchini. I've started them as transplants indoors, with the intent of putting them out around July 4th. Saw an SVB moth cruising the garden today, looking for squash - but there was nothing to lay eggs on... HA! :smackThe egg-laying period should be over by the time the transplants are ready. I did this several years back, with great success.

The pepper plants are looking really good, glad I found room to get them all in. Some are already blooming. This is just about the earliest I've ever been able to transplant peppers; partly due to good weather, and partly due to putting them in my better-drained home plots this year. I generally put most peppers in the rural garden, which is just about the last place in the county to dry.

Haven't been out to the rural plot since my injury, it has yet to be tilled. I'm almost afraid to look, the weeds must be horrible. :hide Hopefully DW & I can begin cleaning it off next week, to at least get it mowed before everything there goes to seed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman , you don't share enough, or in enough places ;), for me to have realized that you were on crutches this spring! I knew that you were in the hospital ... but that part of the process for becoming a great grandfather ..! Congratulations on getting off the crutches and on that new grandbaby :).

Windy today and getting worse, I think I will take the day off, just running sprinklers here at home.

Maybe I can get some of the dahlias tied up. Likely to be working in the mud after the sprinklers ... need to think about that ...

Steve

Latest posts