What Did You Do In The Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, clematis can be planted much deeper than the pot they came in. A local garden master years ago wrote an article on clems. He plants them deep but backfills the hole with bark until it has started putting out new stems. I have never done this and had no issues. If your soil is dense and slow draining it would be a good idea. You don't have to worry about the deep planting though.
Is this the new one you just bought? If so it shouldn't even have a hiccup from a transplant.
Yes, it's the fushia one that was the POW a couple weeks ago. I thought clemis took a year or two to take off. I was surprised how well this one did on it's first year. I love the color and think it will look great against the blue obelisk. I also hope it will not grow as dense to cover the whole thing up. I want the obelisk to show through somewhat.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got back from vaca only to find that bur cucumber had taken over part of my garden. I filled up the back of a Polaris and will burn it tomorrow. Truly amazing how much space one plant can take.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got back from vaca only to find that bur cucumber had taken over part of my garden. I filled up the back of a Polaris and will burn it tomorrow. Truly amazing how much space one plant can take.
What's a bur cucumber? Is it what I call a wild cucumber? Has a small yellow cucumber on it that actually tastes sweet, but I hate :rant those darn vines! They are running all over my PEAS! :hit

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, also known as wild cucumber. Can take over acres of crops. Literally acres.....

Leaves resemble morning glory.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I am still picking grapes. Have to do it early bc the yellow jackets and bees are on them, but I had such a big crop I got greedy.

what kind of grapes do you have there @ducks4you ? i love concord varieties but haven't ever had good luck with them due to our foggy bottom location. when we had a single vine neglected and growing in a pile on the ground it was in very poor shape and had even been run over by the truck. the grapes from it were really good.

so when i came along to be gardening more often here and helping out i built a trellis for it and trained it on that. alas, the main stem was split and rotting and the vines were infested by black rot so any grapes that came along eventually would rot and fall off. i made one last year of jam from whatever grapes i could salvage one year and then took the vine off and gave up until i could find a black rot resistant variety that would give me what i wanted for making jam. and i've not done a thing since... so busy with many other things, but if it works out that i have some bit of fencing left i'm hoping (ahem :) ) to use that on the old grape trellis so i can grow some beans on it again and fence off that end so the deer can't come across the pathway that is currently open to critter traffic...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno, I THINK that they are concord. The spot where somebody planted them some 70-100 years ago on the property is well eNOUGH drained that there has been no rotting problems. The previous owners lost 2/8, and I lost 1/8, so there are 5 of the original 8 plants left. If you can figure out how to grow them, let me know. I have to replace the supports for next year, anyway, so it would be nice to plant 3 more.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno, I THINK that they are concord. The spot where somebody planted them some 70-100 years ago on the property is well eNOUGH drained that there has been no rotting problems. The previous owners lost 2/8, and I lost 1/8, so there are 5 of the original 8 plants left. If you can figure out how to grow them, let me know. I have to replace the supports for next year, anyway, so it would be nice to plant 3 more.

the only thing i know is don't plant them where it is foggy/cold... that's why they grow well in CA and other places with hills and sunshine. :) i'm not sure if concord grapes actually do grow out west, but in our little low spot here it wasn't good for them.

it takes a few years to get a vine established and set up to grow on a trellis. i had five on a large chainlink dog run at the place i grew up. it took me three years to get them all shaped to cover it during the summer and then i went away to college. Mom hacked them back thinking she was doing me a favor so i had to start all over again... then she sold the place. no idea if they are still there or not.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I will bet that they Are still there. They look like the deadest thing on the property in the winter, but they might be the hardiest.
I understand that Illinois produces sweet wines, but I intend to try some winemaking with them anyway. :D

Latest posts