What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
getting ready for next season... was out for a few hours of digging and my body feels so much better for it. i'm not back to full strength by any means but at least i made a dent in what i have to get ready for next spring. if i can do this for the next month 2-5hrs a day i'd be back on top of the gardens i wanted to have planted this year that didn't, but they'll be ready for next year.

i was hoping a light scraping with the scuffle hoe would work as that would go a lot quicker than having to turn it, but no such luck. the weeds in place are very woody stemmed and the roots don't cut easily so digging/turning it all under is actually quicker. i'm going to have weeds coming back in there no matter what so to get them turned under now just means the worms have a longer period of time to munch on them through the fall/winter/early spring. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 28354
This represents a few weeks of on again off again work. Most of which were 90 plus degrees and high humidity. Dug and potted daylilies for next year farmers markets. Tilled, limed. and applied black gold to this bed for renewal. My new daylily seedlings will go in this bed for further evaluation and growth. It just started raining so I feel frustrated that I had to quit early when I finally have all the prep done. 4 straight days of cool weather but, the heat is promised to return.

i like inspector kitty. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been freezing beans, squash, peppers, tomatoes, blackberries. I got all the weeds out of my box and added some old manure and planted lettuce and the Holland green seeds I bought and topper turnip. I have a couple rows of Swiss chard that has been not getting enough water, so I am soaking this now. My butternut squash are looking pretty good and I have a couple of Thelma squash about ready to pick.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been freezing beans, squash, peppers, tomatoes, blackberries. I got all the weeds out of my box and added some old manure and planted lettuce and the Holland green seeds I bought and topper turnip. I have a couple rows of Swiss chard that has been not getting enough water, so I am soaking this now. My butternut squash are looking pretty good and I have a couple of Thelma squash about ready to pick.

we brought in the winter squash last week and i roasted a few up the other day. :) so good!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been tweeking my garden. Have moved my colorful trellis', planted a white clematis, and redoing my shade garden. Also moved a couple pots around and trimmed a couple branchs of my fig tree that were getting in my way when I walked by.

In there I removed an oak leaf hydrangea and a fushia, then I moved a daphne to the middle of that small bed. I had already scored around it and was planning to move it in November but I couldn't wait. So I gently moved it with as much soil and watered it well using Superthrive for transplant shock. We'll see how it looks 2-3 days from now. Three big plants in there was just too much so for now only the daphne will be there and later I will plant some white japanese anemone and maybe pink ones too. I was thinking of planting milkweed but decided to keep it simple for now. It looks so much better.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been tweeking my garden. Have moved my colorful trellis', planted a white clematis, and redoing my shade garden. Also moved a couple pots around and trimmed a couple branchs of my fig tree that were getting in my way when I walked by.

In there I removed an oak leaf hydrangea and a fushia, then I moved a daphne to the middle of that small bed. I had already scored around it and was planning to move it in November but I couldn't wait. So I gently moved it with as much soil and watered it well using Superthrive for transplant shock. We'll see how it looks 2-3 days from now. Three big plants in there was just too much so for now only the daphne will be there and later I will plant some white japanese anemone and maybe pink ones too. I was thinking of planting milkweed but decided to keep it simple for now. It looks so much better.

Mary

What? No pictures?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who carries their cell phones when working on their garden?

Mary
I do.

There may be a need for an emergency call ... imagine. 911 operator answers and says, "=#!*%¡¢&¿~#=?" I respond, "there has been 'sign' of a coyote coming to the garden at least 4 times this month. This morning, he didn't leave and has me pinned against the neighbor's fence! I don't think Benjamin Bunny is coming to my rescue, I see him trying to hide behind the plum tree and Marty Marmot ran under a rock! These LBJ's (little brown jobs) are just flying around trying to confuse and distract me. I think that they may be cooperating with Wiley Coyote to bring me down! Send somebody! Oh no! Wiley has taken the flame thrower out of the pickup that I brought out here to kill budworms in the sunflowers! I think he may find some way to use it!"

911 operator, "#!*%¡¢&¿~#=?"

digitS'