What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardeners at work are inspiring. Sunny weather is inspiring, too!

The dahlias are most all down - as in, roots are covered with their own cut stalks. There was ice in the neighbor's shaded birdbath at 10am yesterday, despite a lovely day for being in the garden.

I don't think that it's really critical to insulate those roots but I'm concerned about losing any of the pleasant days and then feeling desperate to get those things in before real cold weather arrives. I can imagine us out in wind and rain with a forecast of nights in the teens, hovering over our heads.

Today, we will be trying to avoid that pressure by poopsy doodling out to dig some of the roots. Need to allow a little extra time for unloading the roots to a protected overnight location once at home. Might just make a pile of them in the greenhouse on the shady side. That'll do it for awhile ...

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have to decide where i'm planting garlic this season, but should get that planted today and continue working on getting gardens cleaned up for winter.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think that it's really critical to insulate those roots but I'm concerned about losing any of the pleasant days and then feeling desperate to get those things in before real cold weather arrives. I can imagine us out in wind and rain with a forecast of nights in the teens, hovering over our heads.

That's why I tried (not always successful) to prepare outside spigots for a hard freeze before it got miserable outside. Also I sometimes made sure hoses had been totally drained, no water pockets to freeze and ruin the hose..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's why I tried (not always successful) to prepare outside spigots for a hard freeze before it got miserable outside. Also I sometimes made sure hoses had been totally drained, no water pockets to freeze and ruin the hose..

yeah, we brought in the hoses the other day other than one we'll use until it freezes consistently enough. it helps to drain the water out of them so they can be carried. otherwise they're heavy! (100+ft hoses)

it also helps to do it when the sun is out and the hoses are warmer than when they're cold and stiff... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use pvc stands for the smaller rainbird-type sprinklers. Also, there is a portable faucet on pvc that I strap to a stake for a temporary thing.

Man, don't think you can leave water in pvc out when it's freezing!

Even a little puddle in the stored sprinkler stands has broken the feet off them. Yes, all are stored under the deck, well-shaken to get water out.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess the picture attachments of the sprinklers were "pre-format change" for TEG. Might search them out elsewhere ...

Here are the faucets that I set up for one garden. Wire it to a stake and the water source is a 3/4" hose. Of course, I could do it all with hose Y's but this gets things off the ground and gives me easy control.

img_20150422_045705-jpg.7149

img_20150422_045705-jpg.

Steve

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled the chicken run today for the third time yesterday.
I tried to wrap my head around that statement... but got caught up in a tesseract, woke up yesterday, and had to wait until today to reply. :th

Sorry, but some typos are just too good to resist. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts