What Did You Do In The Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The average date for our killing frost (Oct 5th) passed uneventfully... a mixed blessing, since it has been replaced by a full week of rainy days. :( Fortunately, not much left in the garden at this point. The Roma tomatoes are still producing a few, I'm frankly surprised they survived the 12"+ of rain we had in September. All of the beans are done except the Tarahumara runner beans, and I'm waiting for the freeze warning before I harvest those. The chard will wait for the freeze as well, cool weather improves the flavor.

I've been gradually picking all the remaining peppers - mature or not - and taking them to work. These are "Thai Giant", an heirloom I obtained many years ago from an SSE member. When dried, they make great pepper flakes... a friend makes hot pepper paste from them. Most of the peppers ripen at close to the same time, so I usually just pull the whole plant & hang it up to dry:
upload_2018-10-7_16-8-30.jpeg

Thai Giant

These, though, will be refrigerated. The "Pizza" peppers have outstanding storage life, last year we were still eating these until just before Christmas. They ripen late, but are incredibly productive; and once kissed by cool weather, the immature peppers lose almost all of their heat & become crunchy gourmet sweet peppers. Highly productive too, which is the reason I grow them every year... these all came from 4 plants:
upload_2018-10-7_15-52-41.jpeg

Pizza peppers

The only peppers remaining are "Red Chile", which is a hot heirloom serrano-type. They are still in their covered cage, I'm allowing as many as possible to ripen, to dehydrate for chile powder.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sliced and froze my peppers today. Anaheims, jalapeno and cayenne. They all get
sliced and frozen together and used in breakfasts to dinner dishes.

Saved some back for pepper poppers this week.

The garden got pulled and cleaned up yesterday. I'll be spreading corral cleanings in there until the snow keeps me from pushing a wheelbarrow that far.

The perennial flower beds got mostly cut down and winter ready last week. I'm ahead of where I usually am with fall cleanup at my own house this year. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very pretty, @Zeedman !

@thistlebloom , and others that make jalapeno poppers, do you roast in the oven a few minutes before stuffing and breading? Is that a way to help the breading to stick to those slippery skins? I see recipes where the poppers move from oven to stuffing & breading to frying.

Lots of green and red Thai ..!! Too many ripening, if I can keep their greenhouse temperatures under control for another month.

Taking a day off from anything "gardening," today. Need to toughen up to face the mess that the frosts have made of the big veggie garden. I wonder if the tractor guy has it on his fall 2018 schedule. It's really the time of year when I would prefer to see him out there.

Checked: we have had just short of 10" of precipitation since January 1.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The average date for our killing frost (Oct 5th) passed uneventfully... a mixed blessing, since it has been replaced by a full week of rainy days. :( Fortunately, not much left in the garden at this point. The Roma tomatoes are still producing a few, I'm frankly surprised they survived the 12"+ of rain we had in September. All of the beans are done except the Tarahumara runner beans, and I'm waiting for the freeze warning before I harvest those. The chard will wait for the freeze as well, cool weather improves the flavor.

I've been gradually picking all the remaining peppers - mature or not - and taking them to work. These are "Thai Giant", an heirloom I obtained many years ago from an SSE member. When dried, they make great pepper flakes... a friend makes hot pepper paste from them. Most of the peppers ripen at close to the same time, so I usually just pull the whole plant & hang it up to dry:
View attachment 28671
Thai Giant

These, though, will be refrigerated. The "Pizza" peppers have outstanding storage life, last year we were still eating these until just before Christmas. They ripen late, but are incredibly productive; and once kissed by cool weather, the immature peppers lose almost all of their heat & become crunchy gourmet sweet peppers. Highly productive too, which is the reason I grow them every year... these all came from 4 plants:
View attachment 28670
Pizza peppers

The only peppers remaining are "Red Chile", which is a hot heirloom serrano-type. They are still in their covered cage, I'm allowing as many as possible to ripen, to dehydrate for chile powder.

some of those belong in cheesy cornbread too. now i want that for breakfast. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
some of those belong in cheesy cornbread too. now i want that for breakfast. :)
That sounds delicious... if I knew the recipe, that would be my plan for Saturday morning (hint... hint...). :drool I still have a few ripe jalapenos set aside too, and some ripe "Pizza" peppers left over from seed saving. I'd have to test one batch with those, before trying anything hotter (like the serranos, or a reaper).

The garden is now water logged & it looks like a freeze is possible Thursday, so I pulled the "Red Chile" (serrano-type ) plants out of the muck. I left the plants on the deck for the rain to rinse the mud off, might as well get some good out of all this rain. :somad Plenty of ripe peppers on them now, I anticipate more will ripen once the plants are hung.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had to clean the yard for the party. Thought I had broken my old, used Toro riding mower Again, But when I checked everything out, the oil, spraying with gumout, the battery, there wasn't a drop of gasoline in it. =/ pretty stupid of me...
I tilled up my inner sanctum burn pile, the one where I burn most of the weeds that I find, and moved it to fill in where I had had the horse's water tank all summer. There was so much rain this year, that it never dried out.
Here are the photos from my grapes. I will keep them small, except for the first one.
Here is the limb that was trailing on the ground all summer and grew a root:
Grape limb grew roots.jpg
Eva likes here picture taken. I covered it up with soil to help during this winter:
Grape limb grew roots, #3.jpg
Hope that you can see that the limb originates from an adult grape:
...more...

Attachments

• Grape limb grew roots, #2.jpg
    Grape limb grew roots, #2.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Grape limb grew roots, #2.jpg
    Grape limb grew roots, #2.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 145

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Finished amendments.
Grapes, no more weeds amending #4.jpg
SICK of the weeds/grass that grows underneath, so I hauled out my new friend, "cardboard", to help. First, I mowed, then I laid down some Preen, then cardboard...
Grapes, no more weeds amending #1.jpg Grapes, no more weeds amending #2.jpg
The dirt is from my chicken's run that I tilled up and moved.
Grapes, no more weeds amending #3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts