What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was so stir crazy today i had to go out. got the mud shoes on and used the large garden knife i usually have on hand to slice some weeds from the ground, mostly mud sticking to them so it took a while to knock that off before putting them in the bucket. it was in the 80s today and very humid. way too hot for me so it was all of a short morning for me to do what i did, but at least i got outside for a change and the sun was out. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The freeze coming tonight, so picked everything left that was usable. Harvested all of the plump Tarahumara runner beans for shellies, and picked the last peppers (jalapenos) from three plants that were growing in their shade. Those plants were small, but loaded... so under "things learned" this year, jalapenos do surprisingly well with limited sunlight. DW picked the last cucumbers & zucchini, as well as any green tomatoes that look large enough to ripen indoors.

The only thing left now is the chard. It would survive this freeze without my help, but I covered the rows anyway with the floating row cover removed from the pepper cage, to reduce leaf burn. The chard & scallions from the perennial onions will be the last fresh vegetables for the year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled string trellis and stakes from the first row of dahlias.

Cut them near ground level; some had ID tags, so I had to be careful with those.

Piled the stems over the roots to protect this most exposed row from freezing temperatures. Many more plants to go but the weather looks like it will be cooperating at least in the short-term.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
starting to get gardens put up for winter. sunshine two days in a row. don't know how to behave or what that bright thing is up in the sky. UFO... will be out digging this afternoon for a few more hours. hopefully it will be a little bit warmer today than yesterday.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulling plants up and making piles to go to the dump. DS has been busy moving firewood. I still have collards to freeze. I have to get the rabbit manure on the garden and leaves. I do have a few piles of manure out there getting ready to spread. I hope to work tomorrow. My job has been keeping me busy.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sunday I put some white asters in the ground. I dug about 2 ft deep with my post hole auger, then expanded the hole. I filled the bottom with the freshest horse manure I could collect to create heat underneath as it decomposes. I also started to clean up my sidewalk, which has been gradually covered by grass clippings turning into dirt and growing grass/weeds for years. ALL of that goes into the chicken run for chicken-recycling. It will probably end up being 8-10 wheelbarrows full.
Tilled the chicken run today for the third time yesterday. I find my birds LOVE it, and can use the chickified dirt elsewhere. I harvested sweet potatoes yesterday, got 1/2 a painter's bucket full, although they were not big and fat. Gonna need to work on that. STILL, I can make a mean pie or two. I grew them in compost and I am giving the composted dirt to my Vet for her yard. It could break down more. Today I will harvest regular potatoes. Both were grown in compost and in 2 100 gal. leaky horse troughs.