What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted flowers this evening, around the house and also some in the garden~impatiens, nasturtium, marigold, zinnia, sunflower, becopa, petunias, violas, etc. Moved some strawberries, and also a rhubarb, that was a little crowded in the designated bed for these things.

My duck experiment for the garden is working well as of now....will see how well it does with more bedding plants in it. I need to fence off the corn patch until those sprout and get big enough that the ducks can't trample or sample them.

The ducks are foraging a LOT there and seem to be finding enough bugs and such to be of interest, which should increase when the pest bugs move in on the plants to be found there.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got quite a bit done in the garden this morning and then got rained out after noon. The ducks love the rain! They sure are restful garden companions, either watching me quietly from a nice, soft bed of hay or leaves or moving and foraging in another part of the garden while I work.

So far got the corn patch fenced off from the ducks, got the T posts put up for the extra row of raspberries and also for the long row of tomatoes. Got the potatoes fertilized, as I did everything else. Saw a few blooms on them already! Used fish and seaweed emulsion for the nitro, sweet lime for the calcium and phosphorus, sulfur and epsom salts for the sulfur. Used the fish emulsion lightly....really watered down as per bottle instructions....that stuff has a LOT of nitrogen in it.

Right now I'm getting the sides for the tater and rhubarb raised beds dug out of the honeysuckle over in the wood line so I can finally put those in place and start filling those beds up with hay, leaves, manure/litter, etc. Right now those beds are just mounded up raised beds but no sides to contain things.

Am mighty pleased with the rhubarb starts I got from Rural King~there were several in a pack costing $3.99, so I wound up with 7 rhubarb plants for $8 and they are growing well, each one is as big as those one would buy in a pot from the nursery at $15 a pop, so quite the bargain. The way I see it, I saved $97 with that one little discovery and purchase!

Same with the asparagus....I only bought a few packs at less than what one in a pot would cost and I got numerous root starts of asparagus from each $3.99 package. Ditto on strawberries.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Everything SEEMS to be NOT dedicated to growing food this season, but, with perspective, I am saving myself mowing/weeding/poisoning time this Spring/Summer/Fall.
We built this canoe rack some 12 years ago. Didn't agree but DH had some help and that person laid the legs in some cement, MY pet peeve. Still, we have hardly gone canoeing since moving here, but it's aluminum so it could be "sailed" at any time, and the oars have been stored out of the weather. I started storing pipes underneath my canoe that the previous owner had stored in my barn's loft. It turned into a weed patch and I had remove the two small trees of paradise growing underneath it. You can TELL bc the roots are carrot red and they can grow 10 ft/year. So, last week I mowed underneath and spent an hour sawing the roots after I had dug down 4-5 inches around it, best I could. I was wrong. It was ONE TREE and it had a nasty root that has been pushing my west side of the rack over for several years now. Couldn't get it out, BUT I was able to saw down what was above ground.
Stump removed from leg of canoe rack, 05-11-19.jpg
Under the canoe, 05-11-19, #1.jpg

I sawed several nasty gashes in the root, used plenty of D-2 on it, actually I soaked it.

Under the canoe, 05-11-19, #2.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
...more from Ducks...
I sprayed the whole area and then covered with basically trash: last year's plastic table cloth (blue gingham), the plastic that my apple trees were wrapped up in, the shower curtain replaced with a new one just this morning, plastic bag from wood shavings and plastic bag from Equine Fresh, and this winter's cheapo AC cover, just to be sure that the root Doesn't get any sun. I also used a "phugly" pair of yellow curtains that HAD...TO...GO!
Under the canoe, 05-11-19, #3.jpg
Under the canoe, 05-11-19, #4.jpg

Then I put the metal pipes back. When I get to it most of them will go to be recycled as scrap metal sometime this year. Started raining or I would have thrown away the old hose pieces.
Under the canoe, 05-11-19, #5.jpg

I can get at least a lunch out of metal recycling.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
went out to get more fence put up. was hoping the rains would miss us. nope. taking a few minute break until it dries off and i can go back out for round 2. at least i did get the next run of post spots ready and all the stuff trimmed back that was in the way so now i should be able to run this next section pretty quickly. pound in the posts and unwind fence and wire it in place. easy... much easier than yesterday... guess i should have a quick lunch and get back to it. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I got my tomatoes in the ground. Yay.
This time of year is all about running around with my hair on fire and my own garden beds are a mess. But getting the tomatoes in was a seriously rewarding accomplishment.

I confess I had some help. This is my almost 4 year old cowgirl neighbor helping me out with a "pinch fork".
20190511_115620(1).jpg

She also watered the seriously messy perennial bed in front of the veg garden.
20190511_114224.jpg

It still looks pretty rough but I did get the majority of weeds out.
20190511_154732.jpg

Should have cropped these ^^^ :rainbowflower

The tulips I dumped in a couple holes in November are rewarding me with forgiveness, haha.

20190511_154822.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I got my tomatoes in the ground. Yay.
This time of year is all about running around with my hair on fire and my own garden beds are a mess. But getting the tomatoes in was a seriously rewarding accomplishment.

I confess I had some help. This is my almost 4 year old cowgirl neighbor helping me out with a "pinch fork".
View attachment 31612

She also watered the seriously messy perennial bed in front of the veg garden.
View attachment 31613

It still looks pretty rough but I did get the majority of weeds out.
View attachment 31614
Should have cropped these ^^^ :rainbowflower

The tulips I dumped in a couple holes in November are rewarding me with forgiveness, haha.

View attachment 31615

so much fun to have a helper! :) tulips look like they'll be flowering soon. we have some very nice blooms this season so i took pictures...

Latest posts