What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also planted some sweet onions today. Yeah, I know I said I was finished with those, but they had them there and I was there and I had room...well...you know how that goes. I bought a 50 ct. bunch of red Candy onions and just stuck them here and there in the garden. I'm out $5 if they don't make anything big enough to eat.

it is nice when it all gets back to a more normal routine after the planting is done. :)

as for the onions, even if they don't make something big enough to pull and eat you can always leave them for the next year and enjoy some flowers too from them. also, they can probably be eaten as a green onion.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are we doing in the garden …. watching the weeds grow! Every time it dries enough to go work in it, it POURS. The Riding lawn mower broke and parts will not be here for another week. Grass is already VERY long. May need to hire someone to bale it! We swore this year the weeds would not take over. So I am horrified to see such a mess so early. "sigh" will it ever stop raining :(

i went out to bury some watermelon rinds in the north garden i've been working on trying to clear of weeds. i'd left a big hole to bury stuff in and it was full to the top from the other day's rains. when i went back out a day later it was half full still so the ground is very saturated. it has rained three times since then, but we managed to get the greenhouse plants all in so they will be ok if we get partial sunshine for a few days before getting full.

we were able to mow yesterday morning and in some places we couldn't because it was still too wet but it had to be done.

the River Nile flowed really strong the other day and eroded a bit more (from the rains that overflowed the road). i still need to fix it but the solid clay does not erode fast so i keep thinking i can get to it some other time. i hope i can get it done this summer when we get a break for warmer and sunnier weather. the good thing that has happened is that finally perhaps Mom understands why i never wanted her to spray along there because all that bare dirt just washes away. i've been trying to get some low growing grasses to seed that area for years and right when i finally see it getting colonized it would get sprayed...

so far the leg is holding up and that is the main thing i'm concerned about. *whew*

today is an official day of rest and contemplation. :) oh, yeah, and more rain...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted 18 tomatoes and got bit by mosquitoes. I am trying to get the planting done so I can start weeding. I too said this will be the year the weeds do not take over, but getting worried.
I feel like I am pushing advice, BUT, 2 things to do this week to cut down on mosquitoes:
1) mow everywhere you have grass and weeds
Mosquitoes AND TICKS like high grass!!
2) dump ANY standing water!
Those donut shaped mosquito killers really work, too, so buy some. You do NOT want to get Lyme disease.
PLEASE, PLEASE be careful!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like I am pushing advice, BUT, 2 things to do this week to cut down on mosquitoes:
1) mow everywhere you have grass and weeds
Mosquitoes AND TICKS like high grass!!
2) dump ANY standing water!
Those donut shaped mosquito killers really work, too, so buy some. You do NOT want to get Lyme disease.
PLEASE, PLEASE be careful!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you ducks! I hope DS gets to mow today. I will be pulling the last of the tall weeds at the end of the garden. DD's friend's daughter got bit by a tick recently and did get Lyme. They put her on antibiotics. Not in this town and I think live close to trees.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put more ground into garden.

.. !

What? Well, the potato row wasn't as long as in 2018. So, I've got this nice little patch about 12' x 30'. This was after picking up about 5# more seed potatoes. There was space left over and no pumpkins had gone in so ... Filled in the last of the cukes. Aaand, realized that a second planting of green beans was just about the last square feet to completion!

Tomorrow, I better knock down some weeds with the rototiller.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I "harvested" bindweed. Working in the bed on the west side of the garage I dug up and picked out every piece of bindweed I could find. 3/4 of the way done. The dirt went to the chickens to play with. I will be tilling their run this weekend and mixing That with the dirt I left. Also, dug up 2 dead sapling stumps to burn. Only got to put in 4 hours due to numerous calls for loan signings, end of month, and all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today the corn is up far enough to be hilled up for the first time, so will be doing that and planting some more half runners there. Will also put out some squash and cukes in that patch. After that I'll try to get that corn and beans hilled one more time before adding hay to the floor of that patch so I won't have to worry about weeds there. LOVE a weed free garden....not having to worry about weeds is half the battle of gardening.

Also time to put up trellising for the maters...they are starting to look pretty good, strong and sturdy looking, one has some bloom even.

Everything else is growing well, looking good. Green's patch is over the hill, so am letting the ducks mow that down for me....they've left it alone all this time but somehow knew it was time to take it down. I agree with them, so am letting them gain the nutrition from the overgrown lettuces, chard and bok choi. Will till that under when they are done and plant more bok choi and chard there...am really liking the red chard! Never had grown it or eaten it before, but I think from now on that will be part of my gardens.

Latest posts