What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got the garden planted....well....still have to set out a few squash and some cukes when they get more size on them, but the rest is in the soil. Planted 3 and 1/2 doz. peppers, both sweet and hot, today. Planted those into the black landscape fabric so as to keep the soil around them warmer than the hay will.

Also planted some sweet onions today. Yeah, I know I said I was finished with those, but they had them there and I was there and I had room...well...you know how that goes. I bought a 50 ct. bunch of red Candy onions and just stuck them here and there in the garden. I'm out $5 if they don't make anything big enough to eat.

Also set out more flowers today~nasturtium, zinnia, lobelia and sunflowers. Got the yellow squash planted...some in the flower beds, but most in the garden.

Put up a little shade tent in the duck's fave corner, using metal hoops and a feed sack. Side dressed the corn seedlings with some 50/50 urine mix.

After the cukes and other squash go in and a few half runner beans get planted, the garden is officially planted, mulched, and fertilized with manure tea and chicken litter compost. YAY!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Tstorms all last night. Property looked like a river had just gone down, couldn't really dig and plant today. Got my scrub burned. Checked on it 1/2 hour ago and it will be all ash by morning, even the two tree of paradise stumps that were under the canoe!!
HOPEfully, I get my okra planted tomorrow.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted the last of the collards and kale. I never planted this much before. I took all the tomatoes and peppers out of the greenhouse for the first time and they will spend the night outside. I am having to turn dirt with a fork and rake weeds out as I plant.

dealing with weeds from several gardens that i've been put behind finishing up but that is ok.

the weather of this past week and also for the next week is still forecast for so much rain it seems like i may be never planting or needing to put water wings on each plant to keep it above the waves... not much sun shine.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we went gonzo yesterday and planted out most of the greenhouse starts we picked up last week. i'm a little bit leery of this for some reason this season, but we were forced to plant a lot of them no matter what because the plants were left out under the eaves of the house and that series of heavy rains we had washed a lot of the dirt from the pots.

we'll finish up planting the tomatoes today and we have space for a few more onion plants so we'll pick up a few more from the greenhouse, but other than that it is now on to the bean planting. which can keep me busy for a week or two or more depending upon the weather.

the weather this week is forecast to be warm enough, more rains, some sunshine.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
went out early this morning while it was some what cool pulled up my disastrous garden from last year and weeds from 3 of my beds, now its 90 and 60% humidity
i'm done.....
IMG_0110[1].JPG

now need to figure what to plant in them....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was weed day. Parsnips, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, peppers, beans, beets, lettuce are now clean-& getting monsooned on. Cabbage is taking the cold, wet weather the worse-who would have thought? Moles went down the row of okra and summer squash. Got the pleasure of replanting. Tomorrow I have to get zucchini seed as I planted all of it for the mole to get....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my wonderful neighbors brought his tiller over and worked the garden for me. It is so nice to see that clean earth and no weeds. I know they'll be back with a vengeance, but for now I can take a breath and not feel aggravated and behind.
I still just have tomatoes in. Thought I'd get the flour corn and the peppers planted today but it's not happening.

I did cover 5 of my little tomatoes with those Wall 'O Water doodads. Now they can get on the ball and make me some tomatoes. It will be interesting to see the comparison with the not-covered ones.

Also divided a bunch of perennials with my friend/neighbor and helped her plant them. She's funny, she couldn't remember the name "lamium" and kept calling it "lumpia" . I stopped correcting her finally and now it's officially Lumpia.:confused:
@Carol Dee , I want you to take note that I wasn't targeting you with the gift of lamium. I'm making sure everyone I know gets acres of it.
:lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are we doing in the garden …. watching the weeds grow! Every time it dries enough to go work in it, it POURS. The Riding lawn mower broke and parts will not be here for another week. Grass is already VERY long. May need to hire someone to bale it! We swore this year the weeds would not take over. So I am horrified to see such a mess so early. "sigh" will it ever stop raining :(

Latest posts