What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Carol Dee , haven't "paintbrushed" yet. I intend to use D-2, the same stuff that I am using in my sprayer to kill burdock, bindweed, the poison ivy patch that I successfully sprayed/killed in DD's back yard, and what I used to kill the tree of paradise sapling under my canoe, and the weeds under my arber vitae trees. The experts on Mid American Gardeners swear by the "paintbrush" method, and suggest that you use a cheapo kid's watercolor brush, like the pack that you can get for a buck at the Dollar Tree. I will be using a "to go" plastic cup that has a lid for the straw, removing the straw, spraying desired amount into the cup, then dipping the paintbrush into that. I will store in my gardening shed if there is any left. Don't mind if I have to hit a weed more than once, but what is the point of using ANY chemical herbicide if it leaves the weed half dead? I have made my peace with dandelions, violets and clover and some other non-noxious weeds, but bindweed, burdock and thistles have to go. BTW, you can dig down and knock out a thistle, even a big one, and it won't grow back.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee , haven't "paintbrushed" yet. I intend to use D-2, the same stuff that I am using in my sprayer to kill burdock, bindweed, the poison ivy patch that I successfully sprayed/killed in DD's back yard, and what I used to kill the tree of paradise sapling under my canoe, and the weeds under my arber vitae trees. The experts on Mid American Gardeners swear by the "paintbrush" method, and suggest that you use a cheapo kid's watercolor brush, like the pack that you can get for a buck at the Dollar Tree. I will be using a "to go" plastic cup that has a lid for the straw, removing the straw, spraying desired amount into the cup, then dipping the paintbrush into that. I will store in my gardening shed if there is any left. Don't mind if I have to hit a weed more than once, but what is the point of using ANY chemical herbicide if it leaves the weed half dead? I have made my peace with dandelions, violets and clover and some other non-noxious weeds, but bindweed, burdock and thistles have to go. BTW, you can dig down and knock out a thistle, even a big one, and it won't grow back.
THANKS @ducks4you The bindweed has to go!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought was...does it need organic matter dug in?

No, it has a lot of that. I dumped leaves there for a few years, plus a lot of horse manure. A few years ago I experimented with straw bale gardens, so those bales all got popped and added. I think it's pretty good with that right now.

very fine powder? is it on a slope?

do a soil analysis (the jar/water shake/measure). my guess is that it has no clay and/or is on a slope.

No slope. No clay.
It does seem a little silty and fine. The basic soil structure around here is rocky/ gravelly. The water doesn't bead up, and it appears wet, but when you pull back a furrow with your hand it is dry a few inches down.

I'm hoping the way I'm using the soaker hose this year makes a difference. I know a rainbird is the least efficient method, but it's also one that can be set and go get other stuff done without having to move every 20 minutes.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sprinkler repair guy told me to add 1T of diesel to a made up 2 gal sprayer of Roundup. Kills everything. I have a very small container of Cross Bow and use that exclusively for the wild blackberries that are tenacious. But that container cost $25!!! Poison oak dies with a heavier than normal dose of Roundup.

Question tho: there is diesel in an approved container in my old garage (I moved this weekend). Can I put 1/4 cup of it into a water bottle for my eventual use?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom wrote:
"No slope. No clay.
It does seem a little silty and fine. The basic soil structure around here is rocky/ gravelly. The water doesn't bead up, and it appears wet, but when you pull back a furrow with your hand it is dry a few inches down.

I'm hoping the way I'm using the soaker hose this year makes a difference. I know a rainbird is the least efficient method, but it's also one that can be set and go get other stuff done without having to move every 20 minutes."

i think if you wetted it down several times in a row it would eventually get down in there.

the ultrafine powders can just run off so easily. is there a way to mulch that area to keep the moisture in place? a good organic top layer of mulch will also help attract and keep worms which will turn those fines into little castings which are more granular and less fine.

i've heard of similar problems in someone else's garden, but i think they were in Australia. it got so hot and dry they could not get their garden soil to absorb water any more. i think they eventually tried molasses as a wetting agent, but i never recall seeing the results of that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only put gas products in specified containers or glass.

not only that, don't spray them around or dump them on the ground. i doubt it makes any difference in mixing with Roundup (aka glyphosate) anyways. the only plants glyphosate will not kill will be those that have either resistence to it or a barrier on the leaves which prevents it from being absorbed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom you live on the Spokane-Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer. Some years ago, a study showed that the water moves underground as much as 60 feet per day in some locations.

By comparison, the study said that most aquifers move 1/4 inch to 5 feet per day.

Are you sure that in the 5 seconds of time spent digging through the first 2 inches of soil that the water has not settled to about 6 feet under?

And then, there is the intense sunlight, 86 degrees, and the 20+ mph wind gusts like we are having this afternoon! A molecule of water doesn't stand much of a chance.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom you live on the Spokane-Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer. Some years ago, a study showed that the water moves underground as much as 60 feet per day in some locations.

By comparison, the study said that most aquifers move 1/4 inch to 5 feet per day.

Are you sure that in the 5 seconds of time spent digging through the first 2 inches of soil that the water has not settled to about 6 feet under?

And then, there is the intense sunlight, 86 degrees, and the 20+ mph wind gusts like we are having this afternoon! A molecule of water doesn't stand much of a chance.

Steve

Yeah, we definitely don't have poor drainage!
I was out putting around planting peppers this afternoon and checked where I had the buried soaker hose going yesterday. It was nice and moist down past the root zone, probably a good 6 inches or more, so I don't think I'll have the same watering issues this year as I have in the past.

Also this is the first time in 4 years that the garden has been exclusively mine. It was a contented feeling being out there, that I could plant whatever I want, wherever I want. The rest of life right now is 90 miles an hour but it was a pleasant unhurried afternoon out there. Dh rounded me up before I thought I was done, because he said it's important to have one day a week where I'm not doing so much hard physical labor. And he's right. I appreciate him looking after me.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we definitely don't have poor drainage!
I was out putting around planting peppers this afternoon and checked where I had the buried soaker hose going yesterday. It was nice and moist down past the root zone, probably a good 6 inches or more, so I don't think I'll have the same watering issues this year as I have in the past.

Also this is the first time in 4 years that the garden has been exclusively mine. It was a contented feeling being out there, that I could plant whatever I want, wherever I want. The rest of life right now is 90 miles an hour but it was a pleasant unhurried afternoon out there. Dh rounded me up before I thought I was done, because he said it's important to have one day a week where I'm not doing so much hard physical labor. And he's right. I appreciate him looking after me.
Ummm the garden to yourself! Are you not doing the kid's garden classes?

Latest posts