What Did You Do In The Garden?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have this problem too.
I found even if you do spray it, it still grows back. This is the reason why I am going to be paving all my vegie garden paths, so I can do a divide and conquer strategy. I have some areas separated already .
I put sticks for them to grow up and then nip them off at the ground, roll up the vine and leave it somewhere off dirt to dry out- learnt that trick from my mums neigbour.

I also grow ground cover where I know I am not going to be able to get it an area. This makes the Convovulus climb up to the light rather than crawl over the ground where it can set yet more roots. Then I do the same thing, nip it off, rollit up and dry it out...then it goes in the trash bin especially if I left it too late and it started to flower.

Some of the areas that have been affected have very spindly vines now.
Bindweed has invaded my flower garden in the front yard. OMG. Always breaks off at or just below soil level and I know it will be back. :barnie

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you what do you use on the paintbrush for the bindweed? Roundup? Having them just break off b=and not getting all the runner they just come right back :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am taking the chance that the dirt from the chicken's run is not rotted enough, but I doubt it. The ONLY reason stuff doesn't grow in their run is bc they will dig up and eat it.

Unless you have chickens so thick in the run that they are standing on each other pooping, I'd suspect as long as you mixed that stuff with the dirt instead of leaving a solid layer you will be fine.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I now follow others footsteps and paint perennial weeds-especially grasses.....& rogue horseradish. I use a mix of glysophate and CrossBow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I caught up on my garden-started with re-tilling non planted areas. Planted 3 more rows of sweet corn, row of green beans, snap peas & small rows of carrots, spinach, beets, zucchini, butternut squash. Planted hills of watermelon, bird house gourd, pumpkin, and honeydew. Started some basil, cabbage, jalapeño. & weeded, & weeded, & weeded.

Then it rained and hailed.....

Junebugaboo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sVAAL8wxbHtt3Ij4Mtsz4ioHIrFmDunlIgfiiVtws8ALssyS1z721L3WusUQZh1atbpsgIYFgq85uM3Yl2p8mk6jtL9Do70AVTI8g0I5Wa8X06UPJZePO4JuFlEmHEF4oon4i_pmtJ11bWQEN3vJjarKD8Kb9s_JK-K8Zx7cW5E91wJuWUDkIdMKo2a4F7bPd36arEF21WM0c_md0FclpjWqLjTic_6dqC03ZIgpIQQ1ISyHmQ1SPOkqHrPd7-vp1o0O1cvLX6lKSdw8mz_9h-5xQ8_H_epCwXGXdcntoRmaR1tL8ZSqLogUPGmu1xeRsHpoLQUKC39RfFPw0NgbfQxiEF-f0YvlqNfGUcllBg5wHzpgUvcHKj7cHnvpkyYMLunOu4r4zN-b0W1j72pIHX2qOsa_A9iI7DM4QIwavNOcUoXYh5AHME9whj2UVoHhMPdJB8P-tS19j80bTiKGCXAwlSFQb4HsxA_bDOs9hKiYdzBq9Of7FhPxGKtqnY4GdA6aciF4LGKldSux5gN8njtJXp79ST21ar6k6P0XdIBBLoRGr8hqyBbRUuMXtibX7Zp8plknjfHR9b3AgIenbRlD99d42UZ6zHUiGf7MzQNw1_IT7R-ddrdN7lkThwXvDh844bd5Vs-XmYPJb6cEra5xHKO33Oo=w1000-h750-no

Harvested some garlic! Lots of weeding! A few transplants! And started some more lettuce, kale, basil, and flowers. :weee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I waited until it was really really hot before I finally got to the vegetable garden. I kept getting waylaid with monkey brain tasks that weren't on my list.. :\
But I got six rows of Painted Mtn. corn in, three Texas (Bay's) and three Idaho (mine), and a cattle panel trellis with a double row of Carminat pole beans. Still lots of stuff to go, but it will have to be another day.

I did something different with the soaker hose. I hoed a trench for the seed and lay the soaker hose in it, planted the seeds next to it then covered it all with soil. I'm hoping this will be a good plan to make certain the plants get enough water.

For some reason I have hydrophobic soil. Does anyone else have that problem? If I use a rainbird, or oscillating sprinkler,it looks like it's well watered, but the soil is only wet about 2" down. Even if it's left on for quite a long time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason I have hydrophobic soil. Does anyone else have that problem? If I use a rainbird, or oscillating sprinkler,it looks like it's well watered, but the soil is only wet about 2" down. Even if it's left on for quite a long time.

very fine powder? is it on a slope?

do a soil analysis (the jar/water shake/measure). my guess is that it has no clay and/or is on a slope.

Latest posts