What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ummm the garden to yourself! Are you not doing the kid's garden classes?

No I'm not, and it makes me sad, but I wouldn't be able to do it justice.
It takes several hours of prep each week to make the curriculum, review the kids journals and gather materials for our experiments.
Then a 3 hour class, which realistically ends up consuming half a day.
I can't carve that much time out of my schedule this year.

I'm hoping next year to do a modified version, where I hold one class per month through the summer. It will be more topical, with hands on "experiments" for lack of the word I'm searching for, but they wouldn't be growing plants in my garden. I'm really missing the kids already. :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No I'm not, and it makes me sad, but I wouldn't be able to do it justice.
It takes several hours of prep each week to make the curriculum, review the kids journals and gather materials for our experiments.
Then a 3 hour class, which realistically ends up consuming half a day.
I can't carve that much time out of my schedule this year.

I'm hoping next year to do a modified version, where I hold one class per month through the summer. It will be more topical, with hands on "experiments" for lack of the word I'm searching for, but they wouldn't be growing plants in my garden. I'm really missing the kids already. :(
That is sad :( I know how much you enjoyed it. (The kids too) I sure hope things quite down for you.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it has a lot of that. I dumped leaves there for a few years, plus a lot of horse manure. A few years ago I experimented with straw bale gardens, so those bales all got popped and added. I think it's pretty good with that right now.

No slope. No clay.
It does seem a little silty and fine. The basic soil structure around here is rocky/ gravelly. The water doesn't bead up, and it appears wet, but when you pull back a furrow with your hand it is dry a few inches down.

I'm hoping the way I'm using the soaker hose this year makes a difference. I know a rainbird is the least efficient method, but it's also one that can be set and go get other stuff done without having to move every 20 minutes.

Part of my garden has more of the rocky/gravelly and it seems like i water and water and barely wet. For some reason the other side of my garden is very soft and we are turning it over deeper than we ever have. I did add a lot of rabbit manure and leaves in there last fall, and in the spring i had put a lot of manure. Kind of excited to see how it grows this year.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled weeds in the front yard, it is a disaster, redid the box where I have lettuce and Swiss chard. Pulled up the spinach and mustard, already bolted. I added some composted cow manure and planted Swiss chard seeds and some I had started in the greenhouse. I planted 5 tomatoes, 4 peppers, 2 cucumber plants and some onions.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Built a trellis for the peas.

There is too much wind so they quickly make a jumble of themselves as they grow. The trellis construction takes too long for how many days it provides usefulness. Getting it set up and providing that first layer of string ... In a few weeks, it all comes down and vines will be pulled. A succession crop is sown in that ground.

I'm going through the first planting of potatoes fairly often and pulling the potato bugs off of the plants. As soon as I see larva, I'll be out there with Spinosad. There must have been 30 bugs on a 30' row! The second planting of spuds isn't up. Only a few times has the Colorado potato beetle population been worse than now but ... this season is young!

Steve

Latest posts