What Did You Do In The Garden?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob: I bought the Tomcat mole trap ($22) and set it yesterday. Nothing caught yet. I'll have to keep moving it. I have an Ace within two miles, I might go get one of those as well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of rodents, I saw a fresh, still moist soil gopher mound on the lawn Monday and set two Macabee traps. Caught the gopher that night apparently but forgot to check the trap. Dh found Larka had pulled the trapped gopher (and trap) out of the hole in the morning and was eating it. :sick
Fortunately she didn't pierce anything on the sharp trap points.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I posted this in my main thread, but figured I'd say it here too, since it's on the topic.

yesterday we began augering out the first 5 of 177 holes for my pots to go in the ground. the recent rains have saturated the soil, which made it a lot harder than I think it should have been :D

holes.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing works as well as a good shock to deer IMO.

I use hot wire in certain areas on one clients property when they aren't in residence. I take it down when they are there for aesthetic reasons, but then I use these https://wirelessdeerfence.com/ .
They really work well, even in the winter. They are spendy, but they will last for years, and cheaper than buying plants constantly.

Thank you, Thistle. I ordered a box of three.

i'm looking for the future results of these and i've recommended them to a few people and said i had no direct experience with these but might pick some up in the future. so we'll see what happens.

what kind of batteries do they take? smell change has to happen how often? if they're not too terribly expensive to replace then that is ok v.s. me short term trying to fence an area that just won't be able to be done for a number of years. if i can use these things to deter them for the time frame i need then that's a good result.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprayed the zucchini plant with Dawn dishing washing soap and water dang aphids :barnie
That has been my approach.

However, I have had problems with soaps and oils - sun damage. Sometimes, it mostly just looked like the plant is in shock and growth is delayed. Other times, the edges of leaves will die.

Neem has caused the worse problems but I still use it, near sundown! Rinsing the plants the next morning is a fairly reliable way to deal with it.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm looking for the future results of these and i've recommended them to a few people and said i had no direct experience with these but might pick some up in the future. so we'll see what happens.

what kind of batteries do they take? smell change has to happen how often? if they're not too terribly expensive to replace then that is ok v.s. me short term trying to fence an area that just won't be able to be done for a number of years. if i can use these things to deter them for the time frame i need then that's a good result.

They use regular AA batteries, and those can last up to 6 months.
The scent tubes are supposed to be changed every two months I think, but I don't do them that often, just spring and fall but they seem to still be effective.
I have found that they work best when used close together, about 2' apart initially. Especially when protecting a deer delicacy. When the deer have trained themselves you can spread them out, or sometimes use a single in a small area. I think they are on the pricey side, but they are very long lived and so simple that there is nothing to break.
Much cheaper than replacing plants. I think the directions suggest also using a deer repellent when you first install them. If you can keep the deer a little wary to begin with the effect is greater and makes a more lasing impression.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They use regular AA batteries, and those can last up to 6 months.
The scent tubes are supposed to be changed every two months I think, but I don't do them that often, just spring and fall but they seem to still be effective.
I have found that they work best when used close together, about 2' apart initially. Especially when protecting a deer delicacy. When the deer have trained themselves you can spread them out, or sometimes use a single in a small area. I think they are on the pricey side, but they are very long lived and so simple that there is nothing to break.
Much cheaper than replacing plants. I think the directions suggest also using a deer repellent when you first install them. If you can keep the deer a little wary to begin with the effect is greater and makes a more lasing impression.

thank you! i'll pass these comments along to a friend who's likely going to be getting some. :) (and keep them in mind for when i may get some too...)