What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure. Didn’t see any tracks or crap. Thinking maybe turkeys? Coons? Skunks? Cats? Deer, would be my last guess as they love silks and they were untouched.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What did the corn look like after, sounds like the plant wasn't all eaten as you had silks left. I've had raccoon eat the corn itself and trample/knock the stalks down. Ruined it in a night or two, chewed the corn off the cob. Caught her the second night. I don't like raccoon. My second thought would be ground hog.

If the corn plant were eaten (don't think it was) I'd think horse, cow, moose, elk, deer, goat, something big. But yeah, you'd see tracks and crap.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wondered what skunks would do in the garden. I've had the big garden in the present location for about 15 years and there is some stripping and chewing of corn ears each year.

The garden was only about a half mile away before that. There was similar damage and I did see a raccoon there but have not seen one in the present location. Howsomever ... I have seen skunk and recognized sign. Do you suppose that they are corn patch raiders? Marmots are a good possibility.

Thank Heavens! The deer tracks only show up in the off season and neither the elk nor moose have moved in.

Neighbors' dogs are almost never seen running loose but there were tracks this morning. As likely to be a coyote as a dog. Big fella, too ...

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plants were toppled-not broken like coons do. Ears were attached. Ate from bottom of ear. Very sure not deer. Turkeys would be #1 guess-tomorrow will inspect better. (Been busy trying to save rest of garden from weeds). Coons usually peel the ear, not here. Skunks usually leave a little odor-no odor. Groundhogs-maybe-but dog usually goes nuts looking for them. 100% sure not cattle, horses, moose, elks, bears or elephants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure. Didn’t see any tracks or crap. Thinking maybe turkeys? Coons? Skunks? Cats? Deer, would be my last guess as they love silks and they were untouched.

turkeys are big enough to leave tracks in dirt but it depends upon if you've mulched or not and how hard your garden soil might be by now.

raccoons or possums are my first guesses.

skunks are omnivores, but i think they go for grubs and other things first and preferentially as compared to plants, but then i don't grow corn so... in reading i see some reference to skunks eating the bottom part of the corn, but then it says it isn't common.

raccoons are why i won't even bother to try to grow sweet corn here. i would need a very good electric fence to keep them out.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I finished a leanto for our ducks 20190712_113352_HDR.jpg

Picked up a load of horse **** (trail gold)
20190712_163758_HDR.jpg

And laid out a lot of manure after putting down cardboard
20190712_164402.jpg 20190712_185935.jpg

More to do :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts