What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the years, I read of the JB problems of those just East of me (which probably included you, @flowerbug ). They were spreading eastward, and I dreaded their inevitable incursion into my area. They do move slowly, though. My rural garden, only 6 miles West, is only beginning to be infected. All of the intervening farm fields between here & there probably slowed their advance. Maybe they choke on all of those GM soybeans... I should be so lucky. :fl

it's a nice thought, but i don't think it works that ways... one of the reasons they're not such a bad problem in Japan is that Japan has little sod/grassy areas. what we need to do though is study their predator species over there and bring them here too it likely won't mess up anything worse than all the other invasive bugs we have going on anyways... i'm just surprised the birds don't go after them more because they are a pretty slow moving target in the morning.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starlings and grackles. Also brought over to eat ear worms, corn borers, etc.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Scrubbed the green mold off of the north side of the garage. Feel good job, bc I can look at it from the kitchen. Took 5 hours, but worth it. Chopped down the maples growing there without my permission. Moved 6 asiatic lillies from the west bed to the east bed, on the north side of the garage, separated by the walkway.
Fought burdock, had to saw a patch to free the limbs from the tree I had cut down last October. Also, after HEAVY, HEAVY watering the potbound sweet (and hot) peppers have dug in their roots and added leaves. Two of them looked on their last legs (roots) for two weeks now, finally better. Winning the burdock war! There is MUCH LESS to clean up and I have enough D2/4 to kill the 1st year burdock this time. ALL a learning curve...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Scrubbed the green mold off of the north side of the garage. Feel good job, bc I can look at it from the kitchen. Took 5 hours, but worth it. Chopped down the maples growing there without my permission. Moved 6 asiatic lillies from the west bed to the east bed, on the north side of the garage, separated by the walkway.
Fought burdock, had to saw a patch to free the limbs from the tree I had cut down last October. Also, after HEAVY, HEAVY watering the potbound sweet (and hot) peppers have dug in their roots and added leaves. Two of them looked on their last legs (roots) for two weeks now, finally better. Winning the burdock war! There is MUCH LESS to clean up and I have enough D2/4 to kill the 1st year burdock this time. ALL a learning curve...
Until you got to the D2/4 part, I was picturing you with a machete & an Indiana Jones hat. ;)

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Went out and pulled a few weeds today, and picked a few tomatoes and peppers. Hopefully by my next day off I will have enough romas to can a batch of sauce for this winter. Looks like I will be buying tomatoes for my salsa this year, the big beefsteaks I prefer to use in it are going from not quite ripe to rotten spots in about 24 hours. I picked a few slightly underripe ones to sit in the window for blts this weekend, but they're not producing enough for my salsa recipe.

I guess next year that means more tomatoes!

Tried to water the vegetables this morning only to have a connector between the hose and the pressure reducer split in half. Have been window shopping for a replacement, but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Will go to the store where I bought the kit on my way to work in the morning and see what they have that I can use....they had a whole shelf full of drip irrigation bits and bobs, I'm sure I can find something that will work.

I am still working on the garden plans for next year; we are in the dog days of summer and I get dizzy and overheated easily out in the sun. I try to go through every morning and every evening for a few minutes and do what I can, and plan for next year when it's too hot for me.

Come on october!

Latest posts