What Did You Do In The Garden?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
no fines for No Trespassing signs. The neighbor on my court across from me has one. People cut between our two houses onto the course. They of course, step over his sign. I'm going to plant some more barberry on the blank spots where they cut thru on my side. That'll show them.

Overall, our HOA is workable and I'm able to get away with things as long as I do it at midnight....:cool:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we moved down here to get closer to the grandkids one of the houses we wanted to look at was in an HOA. I told my wife I wasn't buying anything in an HOA without reading every word of that agreement. If you move into an HOA you are agreeing that you will live by their rules. If you live in city limits you are agreeing to live by their rules. Some HOA's are OK but some have rules I can't accept.

It never came to a decision, there were some problems with renters and rental agreements that interfered with us even looking at that house. I was kind of glad.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to live in one. I’m not sure they ever did anything which is fine by me. They even let the person who owned our house there before us paint it pink. Needless to say we repainted it when we moved in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are we to think of @Artichoke Lover 's and @Dirtmechanic 's locations as Deep South? Live Oaks! That's how we think of it, right?

I imagine that I would feel the need to be fully into fertilizing on something like a weekly basis if I lived there. As it is, I've reached the winter milestone of 20 gallons of compostables in 4 buckets, frozen into something like solid boulders.

I can check to see if any of the buckets have some room at the top. They usually do by now, having gone through some freezing and thawing cycles. There is no putting anything in the stealth compost bins under the greenhouse and chicken house decks. No snow to move but they are full and I was out there sometime in the winter months cramming a couple of buckets-worth under there. Garden is frozen and it's a little late to be burying stuff. Makes for real uneven beds through the summer ...··••...•°

Peelings. An orange and a banana for breakfast, with a SugarBee® Apple on deck :). I was looking at a stem thinking, "do I really need that in the compost buckets?" Seriously!

Steve silly

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fixed a section of the stick fence that the deer knocked down. Added a few more feet to it while I was out there. Inside I started
Forget me nots
Dahlias
Petunias
Snap dragons
Purple Coneflower
White Knight eggplant
Black Beauty egg plant
Oregano
And Early jalapeño.
And my habaneros have sprouted.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I planned out where to plant each veggie and when to plant it. I realized there are a few veggies I need to get started indoors. I also rounded up all of my old seeds and figured out which new seeds to buy. I'm excited to get started! I think I will do raised beds this year. Had a lot of trouble with slugs last year. I'm thinking if I build raised beds and surround them with gravel, that might keep the slugs at bay!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I planted out a couple of rows of lettuce, beets and 3 of red onions and sowed another 6 green beans.(there's just me, so I dont need too many all at once).
Harvested the hard leaves off my lemon verbena for my future baths and a few sprigs of new growth for my teas.
My baby leeks werent quite big enough to go out into the garden, so they got potted up into taller pots so their roots had more room to grow.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia, the first year our raised beds were only 12 inches tall and it did not slow the slugs down one bit however the next year i raised them to 36 inches and have had no slugs since. The beds are nicer to work in now as well and having them butt high makes a lot of things easier.
several of the things we grow, squash, parsnips etc like a deeper bed so it worked out well.

Latest posts