What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Trish Stretton , you made no comment on the recent earthquakes.

I like your low brick, double-framed garden bed :). And, those Tokyo onions you are planting are a variety that we have every year. Many seasons ago, I wasn't sure that I would like Tokyo, those green onions are like leeks. BIG! We certain find use for them in the kitchen.

Your growing season must be very long. During these last weeks before Fall, I would need to be dealing with frosts. You are planting, planting!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

I like your low brick, double-framed garden bed :). And, those Tokyo onions you are planting are a variety that we have every year. Many seasons ago, I wasn't sure that I would like Tokyo, those green onions are like leeks. BIG! We certain find use for them in the kitchen.

Your growing season must be very long. During these last weeks before Fall, I would need to be dealing with frosts. You are planting, planting!

Steve

do they survive winters out or need to be babied?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Steve
Thank you, I'm really happy with how these are working. This is actually the mowing strip that will eventually go right around the edges of my back lawn. Both the timber framing and mowing strip, I hope will be doing double duty to also help keep noxious weeds like couch and convovulus from sneaking into the garden beds and give me a sense of law and order.
I have a hard time working with straight lines etc... but find I still need that sense of organized calm, even if it is only on the borders. lol, so this has been my solution.

In the vegie garden proper, I am loving that I dont have to weed paths...I still need to sweep them cos the birds scratch the mulch out of the beds.

We are only in the first week of autumn/fall and dont usually get frosts at this time. Having said that, I cant actually say When we do start to get frosts so I will be taking note of this from now on....but its not for some months yet, most likely around June/July.
I find our spring weather more of a trial. Winters seem to cold cold and wet, but spring seem to be freezing and windy....as well as hot/cold etc..... sometimes all in the same day.
Our winters are very mild compared to most northern hemisphere places- extreme low of -15c...once. I havent really paid much notice to this but, again, I will start being more diligent from now on.

I grew the Tokyo long onions (Negi) for the first time last year and was really impressed with how they grew and how they tasted from when they were looking like 'normal' spring onions to when they were almost the size of leeks...still lovely, soft and sweet.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Adding these flowers that @digitS' mentioned to me today. That supports our bee and butterfly populations

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adding these flowers that @digitS' mentioned to me today. That supports our be and butterfly populations

yarrows can be a lot of fun, but first figure out if you are allergic to them before going crazy with them.

we had sevaral larger patches of them (and many small clumps here and there of them too) and then Mom figured out she was reacting to them. :( we still haven't removed all of them, but several hundred square feet is a lot of weeding/smothering/etc.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wasn't planning on it this morning but i ended up cleaning the rust ouf the shower. it has to be done once in a while and it wasn't quite bad as it can get but while i was in there... :)

then i had a quick lunch and went out and washed the outside windows and scrubbed some of the dirt off the garage floor where the car dropped it from the snow/sludge.

i only really planned on cleaning the windows, but i had the bucket of water left when i was done and so i swept the garage and then cleaned the floor with the left over water so it was like a freebie.

it was warm enough outside i even worked up a bit of a sweat! :) yeehaw! :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted some daylilys watered and attempted to fill in the holes in the chicken run it didn’t go well. Not 5 minutes later I walk by and see this
CFAC64A4-6953-4F90-9BA6-5C941B29E0D1.jpeg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good day for a dirt bath.
Always.

Finally got some potting soil. Bought some lilies for good measure and put them in the ground. Fertilized the lawn. Stared at the garden a lot. I guess I will weed-eat the thing and then attempt to till it. Veggie starts are all on the store shelves now. This warm trend is making me think the soil will be 50f in no time. There is always that risk of a cold snap but we have not had one in many years now. Except there is this volcano brewing in Iceland that will effect our weather. Go figure watching a volcano worried about a chilled garden. I am in too deep.

Last edited:

Latest posts