What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started on temporary hoop house.

That meant starting to level the beds. Since they were the recipients of lots of compostables in the fall and had the carrot clamp over the winter, the beds were a mess. Combine that with doing repair work to stave off the inevitable collapse of the walls of the excavated path and the ground was where I spent several afternoon hours. (#3 is not covered by the hoop house. It's in the shade and the ground is still frozen. Guess I'm not late on this enterprise ;).)

May have to be replacing the boards along that path this season - best not to plant anything early too close to it. DW doesn't care about excavated vs just lower but she's shorter than I am!

Drove all the rebar stakes in and shoved the pvc hoops down on them. Sore today! This was quite a change from walking as "exercise" and carrying containers around as "gardening."

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Started on temporary hoop house.

That meant starting to level the beds. Since they were the recipients of lots of compostables in the fall and had the carrot clamp over the winter, the beds were a mess. Combine that with doing repair work to stave off the inevitable collapse of the walls of the excavated path and the ground was where I spent several afternoon hours. (#3 is not covered by the hoop house. It's in the shade and the ground is still frozen. Guess I'm not late on this enterprise ;).)

May have to be replacing the boards along that path this season - best not to plant anything early too close to it. DW doesn't care about excavated vs just lower but she's shorter than I am!

Drove all the rebar stakes in and shoved the pvc hoops down on them. Sore today! This was quite a change from walking as "exercise" and carrying containers around as "gardening."

Steve
I like that "inevitable collapse" idea. I bought a farm jack to replace random fence posts due to upcoming "inevitable collapse". This is in line with my new years resolution to save my back this year.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I got out all the parts of the greenhouse from shed and garage and DS put it together for me. I uncovered the garlic that is already coming up. I turned over some rabbit manure that has been out in the garden all winter, but not all the way broke down. I cleaned out the old stuff from the box where I plant lettuce and put a couple sacks of organic soil. It has worm castings in it too, but I am going to pick up a couple of sacks of composted chicken manure today. I got my birdfeeders out of the shed which I had to quit using years ago because of my cat Mister. He was around a year old when we moved here and he killed birds, so I took the feeders down and he is 14 now and does not get around very good, so I bought some birdseed and hung them in the tree. I think this year I might get a birdbath too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that "inevitable collapse" idea. I bought a farm jack to replace random fence posts due to upcoming "inevitable collapse". This is in line with my new years resolution to save my back this year.
(added emphasis mine)
That is one of my resolutions as well. After the months-long weed battle last year, DW & I realized that we had crossed an age threshold. Even after scaling back the garden last year, weeding the remaining 7300 square feet by hand - or horsing between rows with a hand-help mini tiller - has a cost that exceeds our pain budget. We bought a small rear-tine tiller to run between rows, so we will only need to hand weed close to the plants. Hopefully the reduction in back strain will enable us to continue gardening at this scale for a few more years.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
(added emphasis mine)
That is one of my resolutions as well. After the months-long weed battle last year, DW & I realized that we had crossed an age threshold. Even after scaling back the garden last year, weeding the remaining 7300 square feet by hand - or horsing between rows with a hand-help mini tiller - has a cost that exceeds our pain budget. We bought a small rear-tine tiller to run between rows, so we will only need to hand weed close to the plants. Hopefully the reduction in back strain will enable us to continue gardening at this scale for a few more years.
Today I literally looked at a hand held battery hedge trimmer thinking about weeding under plants. I am taking no prisoners in my pursuit of flagrant laziness. Still hard to beat my favorite skinny three tine on the 18 inch stick handle. I think the reaching is tiresome after 4,000 repititions. Call me crazy.

I wish one of these poll taking students that show up occasionally would 3d print me a hand held tiller. Like a 3 inch blade maybe.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday we got the gate in and part of the fencing. Plus removed a large metal frame that was serving no purpose. It's slow going but pleased things are finally moving.

Longing for these raised beds so I can make a start on my vegetable growing at long last.

I'll never catch up with you professionals but contented knowing things will improve around here shortly

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday we got the gate in and part of the fencing. Plus removed a large metal frame that was serving no purpose. It's slow going but pleased things are finally moving.

Longing for these raised beds so I can make a start on my vegetable growing at long last.

I'll never catch up with you professionals but contented knowing things will improve around here shortly
Professa whut? Haha- I will be lucky to not be seen planting anything store bought!😇

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I literally looked at a hand held battery hedge trimmer thinking about weeding under plants. I am taking no prisoners in my pursuit of flagrant laziness. Still hard to beat my favorite skinny three tine on the 18 inch stick handle. I think the reaching is tiresome after 4,000 repititions. Call me crazy.

I wish one of these poll taking students that show up occasionally would 3d print me a hand held tiller. Like a 3 inch blade maybe.
Hmmm, edge trimmer as weeder. As much as I would hate to add one more gadget, I like that idea. I'm not sure a hedge trimmer is precise enough to get in close without the risk of damage, maybe a powered shears would work better. Regardless of what powered tool we settle on, it will no doubt be another big time saver - and ideas that save time & effort are my main focus this year. Thanks for the idea, @Dirtmechanic . :thumbsup

DD & DW did something similar under several rows of soybeans last year, using scissors. Those plants did OK, so I know the idea has potential. It may be that cutting weeds off to prevent them from getting larger & going to seed is better than pulling them out; no root damage. The weeds would try to grow back of course, so the "haircut" would have to be repeated once or twice. It does remain to be seen whether the remaining roots will stunt the plants to any degree... I think this method could be my lab experiment for the year.

Latest posts