What Did You Do In The Garden?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
between rains went out and raked the leaves up inside the bed area finished putting up the hoops, carried over the posts for when i get the plastic up. need to run the weed eater though there one last time. had to stop the ball of my foot is killing me...

took down the pea fence last sunday since they are toast..planted way to late.. well at least the deer are enjoying them..
HUNT0003.JPG

HUNT0004.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ack!!

Pea hay is good stuff. Should make for good venison.

Collected lots of kale leaves on a stop at the big veggie garden. Tractor guy never made it out. That's fine with me. Brought some cilantro home and will probably make tacos with fresh salsa, tomorrow. Well, the cherry tomatoes will be frozen.

Snowing on whatever is left out there. It will stick and more will be added through the weekdays with no chance of melting.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We had a thaw, so I pulled burdock and burned it with some other weeds. I also starting digging out my 3' x 6' "salad garden" that will be a heated cold frame late next month. It needs a deep pit below the stall leavings below garden soil. I removing garden soil to be stored in one of my buildings in some big pots to dry out and use on top of the horse/chicken manure to grow early vegetables. I think the rest of this winter will be 30's-40's interspersed with ice storms, pretty normal for out neck of the woods. I'm thinking lettuce, radishes and spinach, bc they're easy. This is my first crude attempt at a cold frame. I should really take some pictures. :woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you should @ducks4you !

I've had a cold frame but never a compost-heated one! It seems like a good idea and might even be a good idea in the dead of winter!

The cold frame I put together wasn't so great. I just couldn't control the temperatures there on the south side of my garage. One sunny day, everything fried! My solution was to build something bigger. Still, some folks are very happy with their cold frames but I suspect that they weren't quite as small as mine.

Steve