What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was surprised it was dry enough for me to get half the end of the driveway ready for culvert replacement. i didn't expect to do much today and couldn't really do more than what i did - it takes a bit to get back into shape after too little gardening and frogging around during the winter.

also washed a few windows and put the fence back up that got run through - productive activity and the sun is shining. :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Score! 16 cattle panels on a old price discount! Tomato cages here I come! Those things are pushing 37 buck after our 10% sales tax! I got scratch and dent 150 off and then had an extra tossed in for free! I love scratch and dent at tractor supply! It makes me realize how high the prices really are!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Score! 16 cattle panels on a old price discount! Tomato cages here I come! Those things are pushing 37 buck after our 10% sales tax! I got scratch and dent 150 off and then had an extra tossed in for free! I love scratch and dent at tractor supply! It makes me realize how high the prices really are!

those will be lifetime lasting tomato cages! :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
those will be lifetime lasting tomato cages! :)
Yeah every year I am reminded of how much higher the tomato plants would like to grow if they were allowed, and scramble for something taller to support them. At the same time I lose a piece ot two of what I used before to rust or damage. Time for a reload and for the money I would rather have the panels because they are thick enough wire to defend themselves or repair. I usually get vertical out there with cucumber also. Last fall I got aggravated repairing the chintzy thin wire round ones as I put them away and promised myself more panels but then the dollar devalued and all that so I was thinking a 10 dollar tomato was not part of my plan. I spent 20 bucks after taxes on 4 tomato plants at the store for DW. Just wow. Just think of how many seeds are in one tomato and multiply x5 bucks. Red Gold! Sometimes Yellow Gold!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't really in the garden but -- I mowed the lawn!

It wasn't really lawn grass that I was mowing. Lots of twigs and things from the trees.

... (I wonder if I have ever sorta mowed the lawn in March before. Kinda doubt it ;).)
And, today - I mowed again, altho the temperature did not reach 40°f (4°C) and the thermometer hasn't been much higher than that over the last few days. As I finished, it began to snow. I don't believe that I ever mowed while it was snowing before. (So, your picture is now accurate, @flowerbug!)

The SECOND thing I did that must have been a first-time event: I ran the sprinklers.

It has been so dry that I ran the sprinklers on the lawn and flower beds about a week ago when the weather was a little nicer! By the way, the snow continued for about an hour into my irrigation and it didn't even dampen the asphalt on the road, as best as I could see.

With the tiniest amount of March snow and rain, we had 1 1/4 inches of precipitation for the month, total. NOT one day was there more than a "trace" as defined by the Weather Service. How they come up with 1 1/4 inches is beyond my comprehension. There has been little to improve on these number in April and it's the second time that I have watered the lawn - last time, was a non-snowy day ;).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, today - I mowed again, altho the temperature did not reach 40°f (4°C) and the thermometer hasn't been much higher than that over the last few days. As I finished, it began to snow. I don't believe that I ever mowed while it was snowing before. (So, your picture is now accurate, @flowerbug!)

The SECOND thing I did that must have been a first-time event: I ran the sprinklers.

It has been so dry that I ran the sprinklers on the lawn and flower beds about a week ago when the weather was a little nicer! By the way, the snow continued for about an hour into my irrigation and it didn't even dampen the asphalt on the road, as best as I could see.

With the tiniest amount of March snow and rain, we had 1 1/4 inches of precipitation for the month, total. NOT one day was there more than a "trace" as defined by the Weather Service. How they come up with 1 1/4 inches is beyond my comprehension. There has been little to improve on these number in April and it's the second time that I have watered the lawn - last time, was a non-snowy day ;).

Steve

i hope things have improved since then? i've seen more "weather" recently going through. glad to see more snows/rains for CA, CO, UT, NV, AZ and hoping for more snow in the mountains.