What Did You Do In The Garden?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvest starts - vegetables and flowers.

P1105198.jpg

13994.jpg

13983.jpg

My favorite one this year - ivory with a bit of light orange at the edge
13986.jpg

A lot of "green in the snow" - I removed most of the winter vegetables and prepared the space for young plants.
13997.jpg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Up potted most of the tomatoes and all of eggplants.

Transplanted all onion seedlings.

Fertilized all the fruit trees.

Decided to put woven weed barrier fabric down to manage weeds by the raspberries.

Pruned back blackberries to manage the patch better.

We need mulch the raspberries and blackberry patch before the weeds take over again. After today's sprinkles we should have dry weather for few days.

It was a busy week but we got lots done!

Attachments

• 20220414_120908.jpg
    20220414_120908.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220416_175919.jpg
    20220416_175919.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220417_115600.jpg
    20220417_115600.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220413_105811.jpg
    20220413_105811.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 69

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not today, but the last couple of weeks I have been carrying plants in and out of the house with snow or sleet or rain. I decided to cover the box I planted with lettuce and radishes and I was covered in sleet while doing it. A few days ago I uncovered it and I have radishes up and a little bit of lettuce, but I watered it and covered it again. It is 45 right now and I want to put the kale, collards, cabbage and onions on the patio in the shade, but to me for some reason it feels like 35, but it says it feels like 49, but I have a fire in the woodstove.:hu

I trimmed the raspberries and got all the dead canes out. It looks pretty thin. It might be that they did not get enough water last summer. I have a bed made with new compost on top ready for planting and another I am going to move compost to today and one more to make on this side of the garden. It should be enough room for the kale, collards, cabbage, onions and leeks that are just waiting to get hardened off.

If I pot up my tomatoes then they will have to stay outside but 30s all next 2 weeks. I guess I can carry them in and put in the kitchen floor.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is 45 right now ... to me for some reason it feels like 35, but it says it feels like 49 ...
Now wait a minute. It's 45 but the "feels like" is 49? How do "they" get a higher feels like than the actual temperature? Do they expect a person to be working without stop in the sun? Almost no sun here but maybe they are sitting in a sunny window somewhere else.

I use one source for early morning temperatures - Wunderground dot com volunteers that are in the neighborhood. For something "official" for the daytime, I use the nearest airport information. The reason I change is because the nearest volunteer to my home seemed to have their thermometer where sunlight was hitting it. (It seems that it might recently have changed. Maybe a tree grew high enough for shade, or something) For the distant garden, I do a morning check on the volunteers and then have to make a commitment to go or not. Either way, that is primarily based on the WS forecast since the only shelter is the pickup.

For a time, I paid no attention to the "feels like" information. Then, I wised up to the fact I wasn't a stone without feelings!

Steve :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a time, I paid no attention to the "feels like" information. Then, I wised up to the fact I wasn't a stone without feelings!

Steve :)
I use Wunderground when I actually have plants in the ground and just use Accuweather for I have no idea why. lol Cloudy all day and if no sun this house is just cold and it can be 40 outside with the sun shinning and the house is nice. It took me all day to warm up and I did nothing outside. A snow squall for morning is predicted. LOL

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just made a hoop-based insect protection net for my raised bed. This version is better than the 2021 version (like a pyramid, so only the center has sufficient height). The necessary items for building a frame are PVC pipes (I ordered a lot of 20mm ones; the smaller diameter should also work.), 3-way pipe joints, and a pipe cutter - very simple and can be done in 5 minutes.

It's for late spring and summer when the pests like Flea beetles or cabbage flies appear. I believe, with some slight adjustments, this frame can also be used as a simple cold frame.
14040.jpg

I will use it majorly for the beds of Brassicas and carrots.

I love this version and will create one independent post on this topic.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took my tomatoes out for sun. They need transplanted up but I need potting soil and going this evening to get some. I brought two 5 gallon buckets of composted manure into the greenhouse to warm up and dry out and I am going to use that with potting soil for tomatoes. I took the plastic off the box and I have lettuce, radishes and Swiss chard coming up, so watered it all and covered again. This week I will get the onions and kale and other greens hardened off and planted. DS is going to help me get a row of dirt turned and get weeds out for a row of peas and put the fence up.

Latest posts