What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pull, trim and eat.

I once posted a picture of a 3/4" pigweed growing under some veggie that was busy flowering and fixin to make some seed. We also have a tumblweed pigweed that goes to seed that I have real trouble with. No way am I gonna allow the red-root to make any contributions!

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do u eat pigweed? Tastes like?
I've never tried pigweed, but I heard that the young leaves and growing tips on older plants are the tastiest and most tender. The seeds are supposed to be nutritious. I think it is similar to spinach. I have not verified if this is true.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garden is now weeded for the first time. Straw bedding down. Still have a long narrow area to plant along with short spots where seed never germed. Moles are tunneling right below plants causing problems. Moles and sandy soils are a natural.

NorthwoodsHens&Chicks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted my vegetable garden Friday. Sweet corn, sugar peas, bush beans, zucchini and butternut squash.
The plot next to the vegetable is planted with watermelon and mammoth sunflowers at the periphery. I potted tomatoes and 3 kinds of peppers. The basil and lavender beds are seeded (starting fresh with lav), and thyme, rosemary have been transplanted, doing well.
I chipped up some trees HD cut last fall and mulched my edges and rows. tossed rest into chicken run for compost.
Set hoops and netting for deer/rabbit deterrent. ready to relax!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted my vegetable garden Friday. Sweet corn, sugar peas, bush beans, zucchini and butternut squash.
The plot next to the vegetable is planted with watermelon and mammoth sunflowers at the periphery. I potted tomatoes and 3 kinds of peppers. The basil and lavender beds are seeded (starting fresh with lav), and thyme, rosemary have been transplanted, doing well.
I chipped up some trees HD cut last fall and mulched my edges and rows. tossed rest into chicken run for compost.
Set hoops and netting for deer/rabbit deterrent. ready to relax!

i hope you have an abundant harvest! :) i'm taking a rain break today too, very likely tomorrow will also be a time-out.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I replanted sweet corn on the 1st E-W fencing in the main garden bed.
I mowed, raked and cleaned up all of the burdock and other weeds that I could in the South Pasture. Supposed to rain today, else I would be poisoning. I was able to mow down 1/4 of the burdock growing under the south fencing in the south pasture. Tomorrow I intend to use my reciprocating saw there, then poison, THEN I plan to put down cardboard and liberally cover with compost from last winter's used stall bedding.
I went back saturday and raked up all I could of any small twigs, any burdock mats that I missed and I picked it up yesterday. HOPEFULLY at the end of this week it will look bare but start to recover.
I plan to keep the horses off of it for at least a week. There isn't any grass growing where I need to poison, but it wouldn't hurt to let the grass grow up a bit before they get to mow more.
Horses did some mowing in the inner sanctum, but they could do more.
I mowed between the 1st and 2nd, and the 2nd and 3rd garden fences (the ones I put up last year with chicken wire for tomatoes), and I dug out some dandelions and curly dock and burdock AND I got the roots!
I am about to go out and loosen up the soil so I can plant my next row of corn and start planting pole beans (north side of the fence.
I will go back later and tie up the corn as it gets tall enough. We will get bad winds sometimes in summer storms and they will take down corn since it has shallow roots, so tying to the chicken wire should help.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice, sunny day!

Took down the temporary hoop house. I don't know if we are having a "more normal" late Spring, or not. Early Spring was unusual. It won't be consistently above 50°f (10°C) overnight during June. That's normal. This would be a little early for taking off the film for most years but it is nearly all early-season veggies in there and there is room in the greenhouse for whatever needs overnight protection and is still to be transplanted out. "Early-season veggies" but it doesn't include Chinese Cabbage. The best way I have found to grow that one is to leave it under the plastic film until it is really warm!

Plants immediately looked like they would melt in the sunlight. Ran the sprinkler on them and will do it again, maybe for a few minutes, tomorrow. Hoping to avoid sunburn in that full-sun location. Water is healing, dontcha know.

Steve
working for his comfort too, after all ;)